45 colt loads for rifle

mikejonestkd

Any Tier 1 load that is safe for a SAA should be fine for the henry.
a good classic load is 7.5 - 8.5 gr of unique under a 250 LRN. Adjust your load depending on how it shoots for you.
Personally I use 7 gr of win 231 for a nice mild load in my 45 colt lever.

zxcvbob

i would try a max load (in the normal .45 Colt section in the manual, not the Ruger or Contender loads) of Herco, with a 250 or 255 grain cast bullet.

I just looked it up in an old Alliant manual and it says 9.0 grains with a 250L bullet. (I thought it would be about 9.5)

The current Alliant data is 9.5 grains of Herco, maximum. Alliant claims on the front page of their site to have upgraded Herco (and Sport Pistol) for cleaner burning and better metering, just as they've done with Unique and Bullseye, previously. So the formulation will be a little different and current data should be used. Note that all Alliant "recipes" online are maximum and their manual says they expect you to reduce them 10% (in this case, to 8.6 grains) and work up, just to be sure.

Pathfinder45

Since it's a rifle, I suggest you experiment with IMR-4227. It should yield higher velocity within the pressure limitations of your rifle.