.45 Colt in a Puma 92 carbine

overkill556x45

As the title would suggest, I have a Puma 92 carbine (as well as a 7.5" Blackhawk) in .45 Colt. I have a few questions. I've been reloading .45 Colt for about a year now. I have been using fairly conservative loads with Oregon trail 200gr LSWC and 250gr LRN powered by WW231 (7.0gr under the 250 and 7.7 under the 200). Winchester LP primers under both. (Starline nickeled brass, and a handful of Winchester brass) I would guestimate that they are both reaching about 1050fps out of my 16" barrel, but would like to know.

Ok, first question: Has anyone chronographed loads close to mine in a 16 or 20" barrel. I'd like to know this so I can get a rough estimate of muzzle energy.

Second, can a Puma 92 chambered for .45 Colt handle .45 Colt +p?

Third, if it can take +p, how well does Longshot work in the .45 Colt. I'm looking at +p loads on IMR's website that look promising, 1200fps or so with only a 12gr-ish charge (economical!).

Third, if longshot works well, does anyone have load data for longshot with a 250gr LRN? IMR only lists JHP rounds for Longshot. I will probably load some 250gr XTPs for my niece to hunt deer with anyway. LRNs are just cheap to shoot.

Thanks.

QuickLOAD thinks your guess for the 250 is about right, but that the 200 grain 231 load is going about 135 fps faster. Unfortunately, without more detail, the QL estimates can be off 100 fps, so I can only say the percentage of difference is probably about right, whether the starting point is or not.

I've not had an opportunity to play the Puma, but if the action in your carbine is the same one they use for .454 Cassull and 480 Ruger, then its a good bet that a 10% higher pressure version of the .45 Colt will be fine in it. Call the factory just to be sure.

I have never worked with Longshot, so I'll have to leave that to someone else to address.

Pathfinder45

Those are mouse-pharts.

You won't gain much velocity in your carbine vs revolver when you use fast burning powders. I have a short barreled Vaquero and a 24" barreled Marlin in .45 Colt. Using 8 grains of W-231 under 255 grain bullets I only gain a bit over 100fps in the rifle. With 9.5 grains Unique the difference is closer to 150fps. With HS-7 it's more like 200fps difference; With AA-9 it's about 250fps difference And if I'm willing to use maximum charges of W-296, the Marlin gains a full 300 fps over the revolver. It stings the hands with the revolver though. By the way, a compressed charge of real fffg black-powder will out-perform the loads you've been using by about 200fps in your revolver. Try it and it will make a believer out of you. For you folks running vintage Colt SAA type revolvers; just to let you be cautioned, the above listed loads of W-231 and Unique are at the upper theshhold of what would be safe IF your gun is not too old, made of modern steel, and in good condition and using lead bullets. Maybe you folks should back of a grain of powder. If I had an old SAA I would just use real BP and be happy about it.:)

CraigC

Second, can a Puma 92 chambered for .45 Colt handle .45 Colt +p?
Absolutely, and then some! The modern 1892 replica .45Colt can handle pressures well above that of 25,000-32,000psi Ruger only loads. It is stronger than all other pistol cartridge leverguns, plus the Winchester 94.

overkill556x45

Thanks guys. Next time I go component shopping I'm going to pick up some 250gr XTPs and a pound of Lil'Gun. I decided against Longshot because Lil'Gun can be used for my friend's .454 as well. If my .45 Colt "Ruger & TC only" loads don't work out, I'll give the rest of the powder to him.

Anyone use Lil Gun with 250gr lead? I have yet to find a "ruger only" load using a 250gr lead. I don't want to spend the cash on 300gr lead since I already have 400 or so 250s. Plus I found a new source for cheap-ish 250gr lead slugs.

Thanks again!