.45 CCI Blazer

cnemeth

Does the CCI Blazer 200 gr hp ammo use the Speer Gold Dot HP like the Speer 200 gr .45?

Thanks
Chris Nemeth

ENC

I was unaware that they made hollowpoints with the blazer round.

Love blazers for plinking but I do get a hard primer about 1 in every couple of boxes. These cartridges usually will go bang the second time but I prefer 100% satisfaction for a defense round.

I will still check them out because I like to use hoolowpoints for general plinking on reactive (not paper) targets.

As to your question I don't know but I would guess not.

OJ

CCI Blazers are available in 200gr JHP in addition to thier 230 gr TMJ version. The Blount CCI web site only states that the bullets used are Speer -- my guess is that they probably are a variant of the Gold Dot.

I was interested in the comment on hard primers because I have noted that in the 45 ACP Blazers also. I really like Blazer ammo and shoot it in 40 S&W, 10 mm, and 45 ACP on an almost weekly basis and the only ones I've had with apparently hard primers are the 45 ACP version. Go figure???

Natchez lists both the TMJ 230 gr and the JHP 200 gr 45 ACP in their catalogue with the JHP being a little more expensive.

:rolleyes: :D

chaim

I haven't noticed a hard primer problem with the Blazer 230 gr. TMJ ammo. I've used it a few times (this past week I shot 200 rounds of it) and I've never had any problems with it out of my Charles Daly 1911. However, I would not want to use Blazer for self-defense. I don't know about their other loads but at least with the 230 gr. TMJ they seem to use a rather weak powder charge (judged by how it feels to my hand). Fine for the range, but I'd rather have something hotter for defensive purposes.

Just a point to clarify something. CCI Blazer 230 gr ball ammo is not TMJ. I know it mentions TMJ on the box, but it is FMJ. What Natchez sells is NOT TMJ. If you have a catalog with that printed in it, it is a mistake, one there for a long time. Call and talk to the folks at Natchez yourself. I did. Or better yet, extract a slug from the case and see for yourself.

OJ

Correction noted and thanks for the info. As you stated, all the ammo boxes list it as TMJ and, as I sit here looking at my Natchez catalogue, it seems they haven't notified the printers of that catalogue. It still is listed as TMJ in the January/February 2002 catalogue.

I believe you.

asleepinTucson

The CCI Blazer in 45 is great for the range. It is inexpensive, accurate and a bit hotter than the other range ammo i've used.

Some folks have had FTE with the aluminum cases, but my Ruger eats anything I feed it.:eek:

OJ

Spy,
I have to qualify what I meant when I said I believe you. What I believe is that you were sincere and telling the truth that the Natchez employee told you that I checked with Natchez and the Blount CCI web site and they both agree Blazer is, indeed, TMJ. Natchez employees can be confused but I doubt that Blount CCI is. I have had bad info from Natchez employees before; one of which told me after I waited three months for 10 mm Blazers, that I should just continue to wait because the ammo would be sent out when they got it. That same week, my order was cancelled because it was three months old! The right hand doesn't even know what the right hand is doing there sometimes. I didn't find out the order was cancelled for another three months because I had faith in the statement the ammo would be sent out when it was available and he didn't tell me orders over three months old were automatically cancelled. I would have expected my call would extend the cancel time but no one there seemed to care that one of theirs gave me bad information.

In any event, the question of FMJ vs TMJ was not even the question here and was irrelevant. The question dealt with whether the Blazer JHP was the Gold Dot bullet or not and, in my opinion, it is.

Blazer is good inexpensive ammo and I generally put 50 - 100 rounds downrange weekly. I have had no problems with any except one box of 45 ACP, as I mentioned above. The 200 gr 10mm ammo comes out of the barrel with almost 500 ft lbs energy -- good enough for small game hunting. The 40 S&W 165 gr ammo is good stuff also.

Cheers -- don't believe everything the Natchez employees tell you when all the evidence says otherwise.

mjn

.45 Blazers

I believe the 200 grain hollow point is the old "flying ashtray" that predates the development of the Gold Dot. Excellent bullet and was state of the art for many years.

OJ, Blazer 230 gr ball from Natchez is FMJ, not TMJ. It may not be completely relevant to the discussion, but may be relevant for those thinking they are going to get really cheap TMJ .45 ammo from Natchez. They aren't.

FMJ and TMJ were of special concern at the indoor range where I shoot. TMJ puts a lot less lead in the atmosphere than FMJ. I originally bought the Blazer from Natchez because it was said to be TMJ. Bounce ball slugs from the backstop (in part, made of rubber conveyer belts) clearly showed no metal on the bases of the slugs. They are FMJ only. When I called about this is when I found out from the employee that the rounds were FMJ, not TMJ. So the information I shared with you was direct observation of the product, backed up by what the employee told me. Like I suggested, pull a slug for yourself and see.

In short, the information I received from the folks at Natchez was not in error, but their catalog is, and has been for quite some time.

I have just opened a case of Blazer ammo I got from Natchez. The boxes are clearly marked on the end as FMJ. The reference to TMJ on the back of the box is in reference to special 'Clean-Fire' ammo that they make as well. Only the Clean-Fire ammo is TMJ.

Currently, Natchez sells only one type of Blazer .45 230 gr round and it is FMJ, Natchez # CC3570

OJ

Spy;
After your last post, I checked further and, of course, you are correct. My most sincere apologies, which I hope you will accept.

It is interesting because the ammo I use most is 10 mm followed by 40 S&W and both of those, apparently, continue to be TMJ. The 45 ACP and several other calibers are now listed as FMJ. Seem strange that they would put out some calibers in FMJ and others in TMJ after all those years of TMJ. The 10 mm ammo is much less popular than the 45ACP but 40 S&W is probably as popular as the 45. Go figure.

:D :rolleyes: