.45 Carry Options

Shadi Khalil

Hello all.

I'm able to feinagle about one gun a year, give or take a gun depending on the economy in my home. This year I'd really like to add a .45 that can occasionally do carry rotations. The guns that I'm interested in range in their size and capacity so excuse the overlap.

- P220/P220 carry, I have many years experience with the P series and have always wanted one. The are quite large and I'm not but I still think I can pull the full size Off on occasion.

- P245, Another one that I have been interested in for a long time. I know they are getting harder to come by and that will most likely affect the price if I ever find one.

- XDS45, I have no experience with xd's but like the idea of the sub compact in a big caliber.

- 1911, This is really my last choice. I've owned 1911's in the past and never had much luck. Granted they were Kimbers, they still left a bad taste. I also hate beaver tails. If I did go the 1911 route is probably consider the new Ruger alloy commander.

What else is out there? What's your. 45 carry? I've tried out a Glock 36 and 21; neither of them were very appealing to me. I currently carry a M&P 9c which is a fairly chunky and heavy gun so I'm not afraid of a little weight and size. Thanks in advance for your replies.

tony pasley

I have carried a full size plain jane 1911a1 at present I carry a Rock Island it is made to G.I. specs. and works reliably. I have carried several different brands and all G.I.

oldandslow

sk,

I've got a couple of your desired pistols, the Sig 220 and 245 and 1911's as well as a number of other carry guns to compare them to from SW (3rd gen), Beretta, HK-compact, etc.

First the Sig 220- I always had problems with the grip printing so this is mainly used as a range and home defense gun.

Next the Sig 245 (the same as the current Sig 220 compact)- an excellent pistol. It's light, accurate and reliable. It's my everyday .45acp carry pistol. I carry IWB with a spare mag on the opposite side to balance it out.

For 1911's I also find the full size Govt. model too long in the grip and printing more than I'd like. I've tried the Officer's size but had reliability problems (2-3% failure-to-feed) despite new mags, extractor, etc. Mine was a Springer Ultra-compact. I read of similar problems with many Officer's sized models except for the Colt Defender which seems to have better luck than other models.

Good luck in your search.

best wishes- oldandslow

WWIGG

I have an XDm. I have fired the XDs and the XDm. The trigger on the XDm as well as the double stack magazine sold me. The XDm is by far the best DAO trigger I have squeezed. I thought the SIG had too much take up and I didn't care for the Glock's trigger only safety. I have the beaver tail safety as well as the trigger and for me carrying one in the pipe I like that extra measure of safety.

My current .45 is an XDS 3.3 and I really love this gun. It sits comfortably in an Alien Gear Cloack Tuck 2.0. My buddy also has an XDS but he changed the trigger and said it's so much better now. From my standpoint, I don't mind the trigger at all.

I also have a Sig P320 and this gun has an awesome trigger right out of the box. Although it's a 9mm I believe they are producing this model in a .45 this year

Bozz10mm

I carry an XDm 3.8" compact in 45 ACP. It is a good compromise between the small capacity XDs and a full size XD. Holds 9 rounds of 45 ACP with the short mag and 13 with the longer mag, which turns the pistol into a full size grip.

Quincunx

The .45's I have carried have been (in no particular order): S&W 4506, S&W 4516, Colt Combat Commander, and a Ballester-Molina. Though there are surely much better choices in a .45, I have quite an attachment to Ballester-Molinas, because the one and only time in my life so far (and, I fervently pray, ever) that I needed a firearm to save my bacon, the ol' Ballerina was with me and did not let me down.

I have an XDs .45 that I carry in an inside the waistband Alien Gear holster and for me it seems to disappear. Meaning I hardly notice that I am carrying it anymore it wears so comfortably. I like the XDs it is comfortable to shoot and accurate enough for my abilities.

Shadi Khalil

Thanks for the replies, guys. I completely neglected to mention the M&P45c. I am not a big fan of the forward serrations but that is hardly a factor.