.45 cal. "flying ashtray"?

.357SIG

What is it? Is it any good?

If I recall correctly, it's a 200 gr. somethin' or other made by some company I can't remember. ;)

.357SIG

OK, now I remember that it's the 200 gr. Speer HP (knew it all along :), just couldn't remember right away), but how well does it perform?

Uncle Jack

The "Flying Ashtray" is a 200 grain .45 caliber bullet made by Speer that has an open point that you can drive a '54 Buick into. When placed on the loading bench with the base down and open point up, it looked like an ash tray.

While it is still a good bullet, most everyone has gone to the 200 grain Gold Dot.

------------------
Uncle Jack

"If you put the first two where they belong, everything else is rhetoric and theory."

markie

I believe that the flying ashtray is/was the gold dot 200 grn hollowpoint a favorite of many law enforcement officers

mark

Chris McDermott

The "Flying Ashtray" is NOT a Gold Dot. They are both 200 grain bullets for the 45 ACP, but the flying ashtray has a larger opening forming the hollow point. I think this bullet was the first hollow point that could be depended on to "open up" and expand when it hit someone; and has a very good reputation - if it feeds in your gun. This bullet is also responsible for a lot of "throating" and polishing of feed ramps as it doesn't always feed very well in the older 1911's.
The hollow point opening was intentionally made smaller for the gold dot as a bullet that won't feed shouldn't be used for self-defense. With it's smaller opening and more rounded profile the gold dot feeds more reliably, and is still supposed to "open up" as well as the flying ashtray does.
But Speer still makes both the old 200 grain flying ashtray and the new 200 grain gold dot.

Kirk D

I've still got 200-300 rds. of the original CCI Lawman 200 gr. "flying ashtray" rounds. I bought a bunch of them, after verifying they cycled, without problems, through the '70 series Mark IV Gov't Model I was using at the time.

I shot them along with several other brands, and there's no question the CCI 200 gr. always gave a sharper, quicker recoil than the other rds. I used.

Big hole in the tip of that bullet. They were also loading the same bullet in CCI's Blazers, back in the late '80s, I think it was.

B27

Georgia Arms www.georgia-arms.com still loads this bullet in both auto and revolver ammunition.

------------------
"He is useless on top of the ground; he ought to be under it, inspiring the cabbages."
Mark Twain

kingknives

Corbon was loading this round also, but a little hotter. About 1050 fps from a full size Colt. Still carry 'em in mine!

zeke

The original 200 gn flying ashtray is extremely versaltile bullet for handloaders as it can be loaded in 45 acp and 45 long Colt. Use this bullet a lot and it is consistently accurate when loaded in the 45 acp and 45 colt handloads. Use it for 45 auto, Ruger single actions, 625s and a 94 trapper.

Have been trying the 200 gn Gold dot lately and haven't been able to achieve the same level of accuracy.

The ashtrays can still be bought in volume and Midway has the occasional sale on em.

Some gunwriters use to use em for testing feeding reliability in auto's.