45 Autorim... a new gun & +P fun... anyone play ???

1st off, I have an old 1917 Colt ( certainly not a +P gun ) but fun to shoot...

along came the chance to buy over 1000 new old stock RP autorim cases for a great price...

then came the prediciment... hmm... sell off the extras, or build a new gun ???

so... my Blackhawk 30 carbine jumped at the chance for a big bore upgrade, & went to my retired builder buddy... it came home this week... 5.5" 45 caliber barrel, & 2 new cylinders, one chambered for 45 acp / autorim, & one chambered for 45 Colt ( I already have several 45 Colt single actions, so this cylinder will just get labeled & go into a drawer )... the Blackhawk is plenty strong enough for hot rodding the autorim cartridges...

so I have one ammo can labeled 45 autorim, & 2 ammo cans labeled 45 autorim +P & I'm ready to start expirementing... may start with warmer 45 acp loadings & go up from there...

anyone play with the autorim ???

anyone have any revolver ( or hotter ) acp loads they want to offer ???

have several 1000 acp bullets, & plenty of LP primers... just need to choose a powder from my powder library... any suggestions ???

just a quick check of my sources shows Bluedot with "generally" the highest velocity across the heavier bullets... thinking there may be some old bowling pin shooters around that use a 45 revolver ???

Martys

Auto-Rim Brass

I have a newly acquired S&W 25-2 in 45 acp. I then purchased 500 "auto-rim" pieces of brass. My reloader is a Dillon 550B and I only need to purchase a conversion plate to accept the auto-rim brass. I loaded up 25 or so and tried them out..... they worked perfectly with 4.5gr of Titegroup. I then also went out and got myself a dozen or so moon clips along with a tool to install/deinstall my normal 45acp brass. Guess I have the best of both worlds. Those 500 auto-rim pieces should last me quite a while seeing I can probably get at least 10 reloads from them with this present load of Titegroup.

:D:D:D

as heavy as the base of an autorim case looks, I'd bet way more than 10 reloads, so long as the case mouth doesn't split... I may look at re-annealing when I think I'm getting to around 1/2 life, as I expect the mouths will be the weakest point... my cases are pre Remington sell out... not sure if that will make a difference but alot of Remingtons new stuff seems to be at the bottom of the acceptable quality scale rather than the top ( just an observation & opinion from what I've seen lately... I have alot of vintage Remington stuff, & most seems better quality than their newer stuff )

I'm curious how the "normal" case life of the autorim compares to an ACP case...