.45 auto

Gunplummer

I really have not been into handguns for years, but the other night I was talking to someone and we got around to 1911/1911A-1s. I remember occasionally seeing .45s in the military marked "Swissvale Pa." My buddy says he never heard of that. Anybody know anything about them?

lee n. field

Possibly Union Switch and Signal. See here.

Here, too.

World War II was a replay of the situation in 1917, but worse. Colt .45s were in demand, not only by the U.S. Armed Forces, but also by the military establishments of our major allies. Again, contractors other than Colt provided the balance of the 2.5 million .45s made during 1941 to 1945. In all, four contractors added their share to Colt’s 480,000-pistol contribution. Remington-Rand produced 1.03 million. Ithaca turned out 370,000. Union Switch and signal Co. of Swissvale, Pa., received and filled an order for 55,000 M1911A1s. And Singer Sewing Machine contracted to provide 500 1911A1 pistols—which it did.

Gunplummer

Yes, thanks that was what I was talking about. The only part I remembered was the Swissvale,Pa. because I was from Pa. I read some of the other stuff and it is possible only the slides were made there. I kind of remember getting replacement slides with that marking but can't be sure. Anything is possible. A new unit was being formed and we got a box of 50 new .45s in and one had no serial # on it. I went back into the military in the early 70s and saw a lot of 1911s still in the system in Europe. You never can say never when dealing with military guns.