45 Auto dies for 45 Long Colt?

Shooter2675

First off, I'm assuming you mean the .45 ACP and not the .45 Auto Rim, and second off, I do not reccomend that. Although it may be possible, the .45 ACP die is much shorter than the .45 LC, so it will only size part of the shell and if done repeatadly (or even just once), the fold caused by the two diameters could cause the shell to crack and could harm your gun and more importantly you. This problem could be even bigger if your chamber is out of spec and it causes the shell to expand more during firing. I am certainly no expert on this, but it's just not something I would risk when you could buy a new die in the correct caliber for under $40 (for a Hornady, atleast).

As for the vice versa, certainly not. I'm assuming since you said dies and not die that you mean both the seating and resizing die, in which case the .45 LC case is much longer and the die would crush the smaller .45 ACP case.

John

burrhead

You asked if you could use a 45ACP set for loading 45 Colt. That's not the same as using 45 Colt dies to load 45ACP, now is it. Also, that is a somewhat specialized set you posted with a shortened seating die so that you can crimp either cartridge.

44 AMP

Staff
You can, in a pinch "neck size" a .45 Colt case in a .45ACP sizer. The case will be sized down further than needed, (by approx. .007") but the expander will ensure a .451/.452 bullet will fit. Crimping with a .45ACP seat/crimp die should be possible although for all steps you will have to determine the right die and stem settings by trial and error.

It will be hard on the brass, and case life will likely be short, but it should work, once, anyway.