45 ACP snubby revolvers vs subcompact autos

Hammer1

Know that many people have success with the newer 45 ACP sub-compact three-inch semiautos.

But there still seems to be a perception that these smallest 45 ACP autos have issues as to reliability.

There are some five-shot 45 ACP snubnose revolvers that weigh less than 24 ounces (some less than 20 ounces) that would have less issues for reliability (at least the revolver stereotype of reliability). Taurus is one 45 snubnose.

What experience do ya'll have with these 45 snubbies ?

NGIB

Not sure I'd want to shoot one of the light .45 ACP revolvers very much as they'd kick like a mule. My all-steel 625 with 3 inch barrel is a handful as it is. A revolver doesn't have an action (like a 1911) that uses/absorbs recoil to make it function so all recoil is felt directly.

I watched a fella shoot one of the ultra-light .357s recently and he put it away after a single cylinder as it was painful to shoot...

orionengnr

I had one of the S&W 325 Scandium snubs. Approx 24 oz, small enough to tuck into a Smart Carry. Loved until I shot it.

It was fairly unpleasant to shoot, and as a result, I did not shoot it well at all. I sold it and went back to my 3" Kimber and my Kahr P45.

I recently shot a 625 and it was worlds different than the 325, acy\tually pleasant to shoot and I did quite well with it. I'm now looking for one :)

Oh yeah, NGIB, I had several of those 357 Scandium jobbies, and they are all gone now too...

tranks

i was having problems with the last rd in my 3" 1911 not feeding, but i think i may have solved the problem. i pulled apart the mag and it was quite sticky/gummy. looked like the first owner had never cleaned them out. now i just need to buy some more ammo and see if i'm right.

the recoil is less, using wwb, then my 6" .357 shooting rem 158 sjhp.
i should probably buy some non target ammo and see how it handles that.

AK103K

I dont have a .45 snubbie, but I have a couple of 357's and .38's, and none of them are comparable to my .45 P245 or 357SIG P239 for comfort and ease of shooting with.

Unlike my short barreled 1911's, the P245 has been 100% reliable. Its very accurate, and I actually shoot better with it than I do my P220's for some reason.

The other advantage is barrel length. The P245 has a 4" barrel, in a gun that is basically the same size as a 2" "J" frame snubbie, and there is no cylinder gap top boot, so your loosing nothing ballistic wise with the autos.

bikerbill

I have recently started carrying a Kimber Ultra Carry II -- 3-inch barrel, .45 ACP -- and couldn't be happier. I have about 500 rds through it with no failures and it is currently the most accurate gun I own, better than my 4-inch Springer Loaded Champion or my 4-inch 686+ .357. I'm a big fan of the short-barrel .45 ... now I just have to figure out a way to conceal it when it's 105 next summer.

Tom2

I had an Officers Colt once and it was unerringly reliable to shoot. And held 6 rounds, I believe, in the mag. How many rounds do snubbie revolvers hold in that cal? And can you reload them quickly? I dunno I can't see a revolver in that cal. being as handy as one of the small framed autos for it. I can't comment on reliability with other brands than the COlt but I suppose if you stick to bullets that are sorta same profile as the FMJRN bullet, it probably will work OK. Some HP stuff is really not quite the same shape or profile.

curmudgeon1

I just recently started to carry a 3" .45acp (Colt New Agent) and I was curious about how much muzzle velocity I was actually giving up, so I checked it on a chronograph and got an average of 800fps. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's adequate to allow my SD/HP ammo to function properly.

orionengnr

Depending on what ammo you are using, 800 fps is probably adequate. The mil-spec 230 gr FMJ is rated at 830 fps.

Different JHPs are designed to expand at different speeds, but in general terms (especially given sub-5"-barrels), faster is better than slower...

Certain bullets are designed to expand reliably at lower velocities--I belive the bonded Golden Sabre, the Gold Dot and the all-copper Barnes X-bullet (loaded in the CorBon DPX and the Taurus Hex Total Copper Bullet) are good examples--there are likely others.

I am fond of the Ranger 230 gr +p myself, and am testing the Taurus TCB as well.

sapello

What is ACP?

For the life of me I cannot recall what ACP, like in 45 ACP means.
I know FMJ means Full Metal Jacket.
That JHP means Jacketed Hollow Point
now forgive my loss of memory, what does ACP stand for? Thanks.

popeyespappy

If you are worried about lower velocities in your 3" 45 you could use the Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel Personal Protection Ammo. It is specifically designed to work with short barrels at lower velocities. I don't use it in my 4" Kimber Pro Carry II but I do use it in my 2-1/4" SP101 .357 and my 25 year old S&W model 37.

Majic

I don't have a lightweight snub .45 revolver, but do have an all steel model. It's a real pleasure to shoot. I imagine a featherweight one would be a little more difficult to handle but I can't see it being too unpleasant. The thickness of the revolver will be quite a bit more than the semi-auto. I do remember when the short .45 pistols would jam at a drop of the hat but today so many folks say theirs are totally reliable. Personally I don't know so I will stay with the 4 inchers as the shortest I will go.

Deaf Smith

If you can hit well with a snub .45 revolver, then use it. It will do the deed. The only 'snub' .45 ACP revolver I have is a 625, 3 inch, N frame. I use .45 Supers in it (makes a dandy hog gun.)

It's not so much what you pack, it's how good you are with what you pack.

Scattergun Bob

Hammer1

I spend a lot of time packing a 325PD and TRYING to tame the recoil. I would suggest to you that compact autos with compatible ammo are just as reliable as any revel over. I load Federal hydra-shock in my PD and if I don't hit the perp it should at least blind him and perhaps ignite his clothing.:)

I do not know of any 5 shot .45 currently in production, however there are .44 special 5 shot guns.

Good Luck & Be Safe

Hammer1

I do not know of any 5 shot .45 currently in production...

Know that catalogs and websites are unreliable, but Taurus does have 45 ACP five-shot snubbies on its website. One is a stainless-steel 2" and one is a titanium 2".

farnorthdan

i was having problems with the last rd in my 3" 1911 not feeding, but i think i may have solved the problem. i pulled apart the mag and it was quite sticky/gummy.

You might also want to try a new recoil spring as they tend to wear out faster in 3" 1911's.

To the OP; the only revolver I have in .45acp is a S&W model 1917 and it shoots great. Of course its not a "snubbie". It is pretty snappy, I don't think it would be much fun to shoot with a 2" barrel.

The only caliber in a snubbie for me is 38special +P for carry.

DS

Hammer1

One of my 45 ACP revolvers is a S&W 1917 which was converted to a 2-inch barrel before I got it. A big snubbie. Might pass for a pocket pistol in a pair of Liberty overalls.