.45 ACP Silvertips

meat

Does anyone think that these are good rounds for concealed carry or home defense? The guy at the store said that they feed reliably and have very good stopping power. Thanks in advance.

The 185 grain STs have excellent results in some ballistic tests I've read, but no thanks. I'll stick with 230 grain ball. Good enough for our fighting boys for over 75 years, good enough for me.

Callahan

juliet charley

I keep them in my G30 at home (only) because I live in a thin-walled (very thin-walled) with other apartments or apartment building on all four sides. I am willing to give up some effectiveness in order to achieve some reduced penetration potential under my circumstances. Whenever I leave my apartment, I carry something else.

swatman

I have used them and I like them. I don't currently carry them but I do like using them when my .45 is my home defense gun..They are the only light load I would use for HD or SD in .45 ACP

dsk

185gr Silvertips are definitely not the top dog in Evan Marshall's database of one-shot stops, but with the .45 ACP there's enough room for error that it really shouldn't matter. Silvertips feed reliably out of almost any .45, even a GI gun, and that is a lot more important than stopping power. A bullet in your opponent's chest is a lot more effective than one hung up on your feed ramp.

blades67

I've found 230 grain Hydra-Shoks, SXTs and Gold Dots are more accurate than the Silvertips in my SIG Sauer P220.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
The top dog in .45 is the 230 grain Hydra Shok. However you are going to pay a premium for it. Avoid the whimpy "Personal Defense" loads. Nasty.
If you want a good load - try the Gold Dots if they cycle well in your gun. The Gold Dot is a fantasic bullet design and probably my current favorite. The Jacket only does what a jacket is supposed to do and thats keep the lead out of the bore... it lets the lead expand all on its own - letting it mushroom more readily than some other loads that are more prone to crushing the cavity closed and turning the round into Hard Ball.

WESHOOT2

45ACP = 230g

Recommend 230g only, your choice of Hydra-Shok, Gold Dot, or Golden Saber.

Ball sucks. Target or poor-feeder only.

dennis carter

My recommendation is to use 230 grain Hydra Shoks. But, I have shot the 185 grain silvertips and still have a couple of boxes. I think they will work fine. If you hit your target, I don't think you'll have to worry about whether the damage is sufficient.
Dennis D. Carter

Redlg155

I use them for home defense because it is a mild shooting load in my G30 and my wife can handle it. When I leave the house the mags are filled with Corbon 200gr +P's, although I will eventually get some Gold Dot 200gr +P's. I finally found a dealer...50 miles away in Marianna FL that has some in stock.

If you want to stick with 185gr bullets, the standard velocity Remington Golden Sabers are also a great choice. Both chrono about 950fps in a G30. Sure, it's about the same as the .40 180 gr from a full size service pistol, but a .40 doesn't start out .45 cal with the potential of expanding even larger either.

I think 230gr bullets are great in barrels at least 3.5" and longer, but I don't have enough confidence in them with ultra short barrels. I want my bullets to be travelling at a minimum of 800- 850 fps. I don't think you will see that with the ultra short 3" barrel pistols that are popular.

Good SHooting
RED

meat

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I just bought a HK USP .45 and test fired a few of these rounds and the HK fed all of them. I am very happy w/ my purchase. I use the 124 gold dot +p in my glock 19, so I may have to give them a try in .45 when I find some.

sw627pc

I had always stuck to 230 grain loads in the .45 ACP until I picked up a Kimber Ultra CDP. Just too light a gun, hard on the hand, and terrible followup. Tried various 185 and 200 grain loads, ended up with a fairly hot load using the Hornady 185 XTP. The Silvertips shot fine, but wouldn't feed reliably with two different mags. Oddly enough the third mag worked fine, but didn't want to take that kind of chance on a carry gun.

FPrice

I have tried both the 185 gr ST's and the Fed 165 gr HS out of my Colt Commander (lightweight). Both fed and shot well, but the HS had more blast while the ST was easier to shoot AND gave me one ragged hole with a 2" flyer at seven yards (slow-fire). I know I pulled that one slightly. Think I will use ST as my primary out of this gun.

jungleman

I use Silvertips in all my pistols except for my 22 and I use 60 gr Aguila in that. (for defense only)
185 gr in the 45
115 gr in the 9mm
60 gr in the .32
They feed reliably.
I shot the 45 into water and they expanded to .90 inches (roughly) THAT'S A BIG HOLE
:eek

FPrice

Since this thread has expanded into other calibers, I will follow suit.

I use ST's in both my 9mm's and my lightweight .38's. They shoot accurately and I believe they would have enough punch to do the job.

I also use Fed H-S's in my heavier guns. Both work well and I am sure both would be suitable to most tasks.