.45 ACP recommendations

sectshun8

I may just suck at forum searching, but throw me a bone.

What are your guy's recommendations on practice rounds and home defense rounds in .45 ACP?

rigby06

Home Defense

I use Speer Gold dot, Hornady Critical Defense, and Federal Hydra-shock. All will work well, and they feed just fine in my 45's :D

For range ammo, I shoot any full-metal jacket round that will make the gun go bang. :)

sectshun8

What are the aspects to consider when looking at home defense rounds? I mean, like what's the real difference between the Hydra-Shoks, Gold Dots, and let's say Winchester PDX1's? Just kinda whatever an individual feels shoots bests with their given weapon?

Toxdoc

Commercially, Blazer is probably the cheapest, but is not brass cased (if you care.). Winchester White Box, purchased from Walmart is probably next cheapest. After that, if often depends on what is on sale. My choice for a commercial load after that is S&B or Fiocchi. It is reliable and relatively inexpensive.

As for self defense, Winchester Ranger T has an ogive closest to commercial ball and will often feed in guns that don't like JHP. Ranger T/Bonded, Federal HST, and Speer Gold Dots are probably the most reliable for expansion while maintaining penetration. Remington Golden Saber and Federal Hydra-shok are older designs and not quite as reliable. On a budget, Fiocchi Extrema is loaded with Hornady XTP and is a reliable choice although not as reliable an expander than the above.

rigby06

Some weapons are picky at to what they will feed, there was a post on this forum some days ago, I think it was under the general topic one, had self defense for about $100 or so. Pick a 3 or 4 boxes of ammo one of each type you would like to sue for carry/self-defense, pick one box, shoot it on a single target, mark how your performed, then move to the next box and new target. Repeat this process until you have finished all of your ammo to shoot that day. Whatever target has the best placed shots that is the one your weapons likes the best, and buy it. Otherwise it is mostly personal taste.

Seaman

Winchester WB, Remington, Federal, etc, whatevers on sale.

Use the same for self-defense, lets face it, when a body gets hit by a 230 gr hardball, it stays hit.

Formula500racer

I have a set of ballistics data from when our local sheriff and PD were selecting a .45 load. They tested Remington golden sabers, bonded sabers, Federal HS1, HST, and Speer Gold Dots, all in normal and +P loadings - 185gr and 230gr.

The test revealed the Federal HST 230gr load was almost always the best penetrating and expanding of the lot in bare gel, heavy clothing, wood, walls, car door, and glass tests.

Out of a 5" barrel the HST clocked 906 FPS avg with expansion to .97" and 13.47" of penetration in bare gelatin.

And don't use hardball for SD. It may work, but you severely increase your risk for over-penetration.

.357SIG

For general purpose defense, I use the cheap WIN USA JHPs in 230 gr. weight. If you want to go a step further and have better hard barrier penetrating ability, try something bonded, like a Gold Dot. For direct tissue damage to the target, it really doesn't matter, as they all do the same thing, and despite all the silly stories out there, features like reverse-tapered jackets ("talons") and special cavity angles don't have a significant, measurable effect on the bad guys who are shot with them.

Most important thing to consider: function in your gun. Everything else is icing on the cake. The USA JHPs allow me to practice with them more often, due to their lower price.

WVsig

For the money Dans ammo http://www.dansammo.com/ammo.asp Perfect practice ammo. Reasonable shipping.

45 AUTO 230 GR FMJ 500 RDS $169.99 Add To Cart!!! .45 Auto 230 gr. Full Metal Jacket 860 fps. 500 rds. Ten 50rd boxes

45 AUTO 230 GR FMJ 1,000 RDS $319.99 Add To Cart!!! .45 Auto 230 gr. Full Metal Jacket. 860 fps. 1,000 rds case.

sectshun8

Thanks for all the replies. I headed out to Sportsman's Warehouse close by (as all the Wal*Mart near me NEVER has anyone near the ammo and I didn't feel like waiting an hour for help) to look for some .45 ammo. One thing I love about this place, no locked up ammo, just aisles and aisles of open shelve ammo.

Anyhow, picked up two boxes each of Speer Gold Dot 230gr (the only two boxes they had), Blazer 230gr and Independence 230gr. The later were cheap, $17 for 50 and was gonna use those for range shooting.

A question though, so the Blazer ammo has a flat steel looking casing, and the headstamp reads CCI... guess they make Blazer ammo? I'm used to CCI for my .22mag, but it's usually labeled CCI. So that leads me to this Independence brand, the headstamps on those read Blazer. What's the deal? Just reboxed ammo in a different name?

Lastly, when it's coming to 230gr or 185gr. The manual for my Taurus PT-1911 does say it's designed to use 230gr ammo.... so should I stick with that?

Single Six

Here's what I do: 230 grain ball for practice. I shoot only Rugers, so reliability is a given [:cool:]. Hence, pretty much any 230 grain JHP from any recognized name brand will do me just fine for defense. I suggest you follow the same path; go with whichever 230 grain JHP is the most reliable in your gun, and use that round for defense. After that, concentrate on training [ marksmanship and tactics] with 230 grain ball. One guy's opinion, and what works best for me.

bradypatullo87

I just wanted to tell you about a great cold weather/heavy clothing round. Since the weather in your part of Colorado gets quite cold (probably much colder than my neck o' the woods in St. Louis) you might like to know about Hornady's 185 grain FTX .45 ACP cartridge. They are great rounds for cold winter months when many people ("bad guys" included) are wearing layered and heavy clothing. The FTX round is perfect for that situation because the hollow point cavity is filled with an elastic polymer compound. This filling prevents heavy clothing to clog the hollow cavity which might rob the round from expanding and penetrating to its fullest possible extent. Upon impact the filling will pretty much disperse while aiding in expansion. Also, the shape of the bullet is quite similar to ball catridges which will promote reliable feeding due to the lack of the crest from traditional HPs, and the cases are nickel plated to further enhace reliable feeding and spent shell extraction.

The rounds are pricey at around $18 for 20, but they are great and very high quality rounds that perform admirably in all conditions, notably cold weather situations. Anyway, I just thought you may like to know about these rounds based on your location.

Bernieb90

Barnes XPB 160 & 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Federal HST 230 gr JHP (P45HST2)
Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)
Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP
Speer Gold Dot 230 gr +P JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)
Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=19887

Hydra-shok is old technology, and tends to clog when fired through clothing. I like Ranger-T +P, and HST the best with Gold Dot, and DPX not far behind.

Target shooting is just that, and anything that functions well in your pistol with reasonable accuracy should work.

scottl

Commercially, Blazer is probably the cheapest, but is not brass cased (if you care.).
There is also Blazer Brass.For fun shooting I've shot Winchester,UMC,Blazer Brass,and PMC in my 1911.

Spats McGee

Administrator
Lots of good rounds listed here. Whatever you choose, be sure to take some out to the range to make sure they'll feed in your gun. Yes, it's expensive to go burn a bunch of the good stuff, but I would rather be very sure that my gun is going to feed right, should the need arise.

egor20

Hydra shock 230 grain HP for carry.

WWB or Federal for practice.

I tried the 185 grain Hydra's, but for some reason my pistol (RIA CS) doesn't like them.

tulsamal

I buy whatever 230 grain FMJ bullets are currently the cheapest in bulk boxes. Then load it over some AA #5 powder. That's my all around practice load. When it comes to the real deal, I really like the new Winchester PDX1 load. Got to love those bonded bullets. Just hard to find them in stock anywhere.

Gregg

Practice: Whatever Wal-Mart has the best price on this week. In my area, usually Winchester USA or Blazer Brass. I prefer Winchester because Blazer is more prone to bullet setback if cycled through the pistol a time or three.

Self Defense: I'm partial to Golden Saber because the bullet shape is closer to standard 230-grain FMJ and it feeds more reliably in some pistols.