.45 ACP Lee-Enfield

BlueTrain

Anyone here have a .45 ACP Lee-Enfield? I only recently became aware of such a thing, though I've never seen one. There isn't even a mention of it in Small Arms of the World, at least in my edition, which is about 1965.

Understand I am not referring to the .45-70 Gibbs Rifle Company conversions (never saw one of those either) but to a different conversion carried out for the British Army in the 1940's or 1950's, probably later. I also understand they were silenced, which was the whole point.

Just something of interest to me.

Limeyfellow

You are talking about the DeLisle carbine and its understandable why you never seen one since there was only 130 were ever built and they are located in various museums around the world. Supposed to be a really good quiet gun too made from a converted enfield no1 fitted with a silencer and the ability to catch shells and fire .45 ammo.

http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/delisle/index.asp has a reasonable article on the subject.

The only people I know to actually sell reproductions of the carbine are Valkyrie Arms at http://www.valkyriearms.com/delisle.htm though at about $1500 they are a tad over expensive for me.

Mk VII

some have also been done commercially in recent years following the pistol ban, to provide carbines useable in 'pistol calibre' ranges.
standard.jpg

BlueTrain

My first source that mentioned this carbine stated that sometimes the bullet could be heard crashing through the brush (in Malaysia). I never realized there was a shell catcher.

And now someone else is converting them. Just what I need. For less than a scout rifle, too.

Jim Watson

Friend of mine had a Mauser barrelled to .45 ACP at no small expense, before the kits came out. Big lot of nothing. I'd rather have a good .22.

Scribe

.45 ACP Carbine

A company in England called Armalon builds brand new 9mm and .45 carbines on No 4 actions. I believe the .45's use 1911 magazines but I may be wrong on that. I don't know their full address but I believe it is in Harrowby Street in London. If they are still going I'm sure they will be on the net.