45 ACP Gold Medal Match Ammo

Kit

Can I purchase the 185 grain FMJ-SWC bullets Federal uses to produce their 45 ACP Gold Medal Match ammunition? Any information would be most appreciated. Thanks.

Steve Koski

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but here's a fun story.

Last summer I ran into a guy shooting a Sig 220. He was doing some informal goofing around and was shooting nothing but the Federal Gold Medal Match 45 ACP. I asked him how he could afford to just screw around with such expensive ammo. He said he went to a garage sale. This ladies husband had died and she was pawning off his junk. He had 10,000 rounds of this Federal ammo piled up. He asked what she wanted for all of it, she replied $300. He whipped out the cash as fast as he could.

He didn't even own a 45 at the time. He does now.

Cheapo

This isn't what you're asking for, but I have read a very reliable report that the US Army Marksmanship Training Unit is getting 1- to 1.5-inch groups at 50 YARDS! using Norma 185-gr JHPs and, IIRC, a Viht-V powder.

Based on other reports I've seen, their handload outperforms even the Federal Gold Medal Match.

I can dig up the data if you'd like.
Cheapo
Whose wife complains of being a packrat...

Grayfox

Sorry, can't help you with the Federal bullets. I've been buying the Remington 185gr JSWC Match bullets in bulk from Midway. My Gold Cup just loves 'em. Give them a try.