45 ACP/GAP SD bullet weights

rodwhaincamo

Is there any benefit to using the lighter weight bullets? Seems like the 230 grn bullet is the bullet for a 45 cal handgun.

rodwhaincamo

I have used the different weights, but never trusted anything other than a 230 grn premium JHP. It wasn't that I felt the lighter bullets were junk. Maybe that the weight and sectional density helped with penetration. Who here that uses a 45 cal handgun for defense trust the lighter bullets and why?

Maromero

My wife's G36 is loaded with Rem GS 185gr. The Glock has a softer recoil with said round compared to the 230gr. Follow up shots are quick and easy. I don't mind either round and I see no reason why a 185gr. won't do it's part.

88KEYS

45 acp loads

I have not fired a GAP; just know you have a shorter case a less powder capacity However on the plus side a shorted case will cycle faster. I have done a ton of loading for the 45 ACP and done work with the Crony, terminal ballistics, accuracy, so will pass on some of the stuff I learned. I do not claim to be an expert; I did noting in a lab this was shooting into 5 gallon buckets full of water and sand a mud. I also used boxes filled with catalogs and other paper, cardboard tightly packed. Accuracy testing was done at 7-15-25 yards, all from a supported rest so it was more the rounds then me making mistakes.

The weights tested went from 155, though 230, and found some things surprised me; again this is just amateur testing! The bullets- Great Remington Golden Saber 185 fired at Average. MV of 1030 fps excellent expansion, Good Accuracy. 230 grain Average MV 956, excellent expansion, Very Good Accuracy.

Hornady XTP- tested 185,200,230 best was 200 at Average MV 1046, Very Good Expansion & Accuracy.

Speer Gold Dots, 200 & 230, did not expand that well nor were they in the most accurate group.

This was the surprise one of my favorite and clearly most accurate A+ was the Nosler 185 Comp. HP Bullet Average MV 1091 fps. . It also was good with the terminal performance, in the paper test they caused the most damage and fragmented into many sections. They are target bullets but did some reading on them and they are also reported to be good for hunting and self defense.

Again my testing was just my own nothing professional. I lean towards the 185 grain, but in all honesty the best from my 4” Kimber 1911 CDP, Hornady 200 XTP & Rem 230 Golden Saber & 185 did well.

Just my view, no claims made but though it would help you decide what weight to go with in the 45 ACP. I just got a 1000 Privi 185 exposed lead JHP, really good looking bullets want to load some and get out with them.

stevieboy

I have fired a Glock chambered in .45 GAP and the felt recoil didn't seem to be significantly different from what I've experienced with 230 gr. FMJs in similar guns chambered for .45 ACP. I seem to recall reading somewhere that GAP rounds are not necessarily less energetic than equivalent ACP weights and that the GAP cartridge, which is very slightly shorter than the ACP, can be loaded heavily enough to equal ACPs in terms of energy. But, I'm no ballistics expert and I could be wrong about that. I'd like to hear from others on this issue.

Webleymkv

I don't own a GAP, but in the ACP I prefer 230grn bullets with 200grn being a second choice. I mainly like 230grn because that is standard weight for the caliber and thusly will be most likely to shoot to point-of-aim in most guns.

rodwhaincamo

Seems to me that it may be likely that the lighter bullets mushroom quicker due to the higher velocity. But is this any better than the performance the 230 puts out? But do you lose penetration due to the lighter weight projectile?