.45 ACP FMJ Practice Ammo

What type of .45 ACP Practice ammo do you rate the best?

• Fiocchi

Votes: 6 11.8%
  • Sellier and Bellot

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Speer Lawman

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • Federal American Eagle

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • PMC

Votes: 8 15.7%

• Total voters

Ronin 99

I've been shooting Fiocchi lately. It's clean and consistantly accurate. Speer Lawman is excellent ammo as well but if price is a consideration it's $10 more per 1000 rds than Fiocchi.
Ronin

Bob Locke

S&B

Best of the "cheap" stuff, IMO. Have fired thousands of rounds through my G21 and G19 with nary a problem, and it's proven to be quite accurate as well.

dsk

Around here in the NW I can only find the PMC for a good price. The American Eagle is good, but WAY overpriced where I shop.

RWK

Use American Eagle, S&B and Fiocchi in thousand round case lots, based on price when I need to replenish -- all good stuff.

hunter44

When it comes to practice you can never do enough therefore price and cleanliness rule. How then can you beat CCI Blazer Ammo?

KPS

I've used CCI Blazer for quite awhile now but now I need to save my brass.I've used S&B a few times but Magtech and Winchester white box are all that can be found here for a reasonable price.

gryphon

I use CCI Blazer almost exclusively as it is the least expensive out of all the brands in my neck of the woods. When that isn't available then I go with the PMC as it is comparable in price and quality that I get out of my 1911.

I don't even consider the SPeer Lawman ammo anymore. A friend of mine and I went to the range one day and the ammo he got was underloaded and it would not reliably cycle his Hi-Power. Since then I avoid the stuff like the plague.

IamNOTaNUT

Sorry fellas, I couldn't vote because yellow box Remington (UMC) wasn't on the list. That is what I tend to favor when I am not shooting my own loads. I have used PMC and American Eagle from time to time without ill effects. I still prefer to feed my 1911 with 185 or 200 grain cast LSW over WST. It makes me happy!

pdmoderator

Chanel no. .45

I've been shooting S&B in 9MM, though not in .45 yet.

Funny thing... To me, Federal and PMC smell better. Not a reason to prefer them... at least not rationally. :)

- pdmoderator

Flattop

I only shoot 230 grain FMJ and the last few cases have been Sellier & Bellot. Accurate and consistant loads at a great price. I buy it by the case from Natchez. Also, I've bought CCI Blazer but I thought their loads were too inconsistant. One round felt light the next round felt like a howitzer going off. I've used Winchester, Remmington UMC, and Fiocchi and are fine loads, compariable to S&B but cost more. I try to stay away from American Eagle. Although an accurate round with consistant load it's so dirty I have to change my shirt and and wash my face and hair after I shoot it. Dirtiest ammo I've ever used IMO.

cpileri

not a choice above, but

the surplus WW2 GI ball 45 in 756-rd spam cans. 80 bucks for 756 rounds. Corrosive, but I clean really good - and an extra swab with ammonia is no problem.

Zorro

Winchester White Box and Remington Yellow box is all that I use.

S&B isn't really available here but I used it in Colorado, it is ok.

PMC makes good ammo at a good price too.

George Helser

AAChang,

I believe in those who say one should carry what they practice with.

.45 ACP FMJ Practice Ammo? IMI 230 gr Ball ammo has very low flash, extremely good velocity repeatability and is waterproofed.
However, if I was carrying a 45 ACP for defense I would carry a +P 185 gr JHP which is more powerful, more effective and less likely to over penetrate.

230 gr ammo in 45 ACP is lower power and subsonic so it is better suited to suppressed shooting.

Good luck!

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona