.45 ACP confusion... kinda long (sorry)

meat

I'm a newcomer to the .45. I wanted to add a .45 to my collection, so I tried various guns and did LOTS of research and ended up getting the HK USP .45 full size. I was very happy w/ my purchase, the manufacturer's claims to realiability and durability of the product, and how it shot was very satisfying for me. However, I feel I may have made a mistake in my purchase. Recently, it's come to my attention that the HK's have fragile firing pins that often break w/ dry firing or practicing w/ snap caps. This really concerns me for numerous reasons:

1. I live in Maryland. Next year our "authorized handgun roster" list is going to shrink severely. I wanted to buy a good gun that would take a beating at the range and serve double duty as a home defense weapon (hence I don't have a huge bankroll). And since my options will be limited until I can afford to move out of the state, I wanted a high quality, durable gun.

2. Should my weapon malfunction, It seems that replacement parts for the HK are a pain to locate, and that HK customer service is a Joke.

I don't know if I'm just letting fear get the better part of reason, but it personally makes me angry that I spend all this time and money on a weapon, and now I feel that my confidence in it's functioning has been compromised. But I, along w/ all the rest of us, want to be able to have faith in a weapon and trust that it will go "bang" when it needs to. And, that if it should fail, that the manufacture will help me out if problems arise.

The reason that I feel that I made a mistake was because I have heard such great things about the glocks (besides the KaBoom issue, unsupported chamber, etc.), and I'm thinking that I should have bought the G21. I really liked the glock 21 and I shot it almost as well as the HK USP. Should I sell my HK and replace it w/ the G21 or am I just worrying to much? I know that there are pros and cons to all weapons, but my reasoning for wanting to switch is that the G21 has the reputation for being just as durable and reliable, it's easy to maintain, parts and info are everywhere for it, glock seems to have great customer service, and it has a well establiushed user base. I don't know if this is true for the HK USP, but if it's not, then I definitely want to switch (especially if this story about the firing pins is true). Thanks in advance.

ZekeLuvs1911

Hello,
I think your concern is unwarranted. I own 2 HK USP 45acp, one in black and the other in 2 two stainless steel and black. Both have functioned 100% and firing pins are cheap and easily replaced if needed. Though I don't think anything from HK would break that easily. I own over a dozen handgus of various makes and calibers and not one has had a problem with the firing pin.

Family Man

I am sure you won't have a problem. I had/have a .40c, .45f, .45c, and a .45tac and until I got my .45c, I never used a snap cap to dry fire . I read the posts about firing pin breakage and got some Pachmeyr Dummy Rounds for practice just for insurance. They are cheap. There are probably other caps that are better than the brass but that 's what I found.
Life is full of problems. Often we create problems where there are none because of lack of experience or poor counseling. Whatever the reason, you really don't have a problem. You have a great gun that will outlast you. Relax and enjoy owning it.

Handy

Perhaps if you buy a firing pin now it will be like taking an umbrella on a picnic.

Really, I think there are people who sit and watch television for hours snapping away. Whatever you want to believe about any product's perfection, when you use a device differently than intended stuff happens. Keep your snapping to a moderate minimum and enjoy your excellent pistol.

Shake

meat ,

I'll be blunt.

Sell your H&K or trade it for a G21.

Then. . . when you read about a particular problem with someone else's G21, you can sell it.

Then you can buy a (fill in the blank). Once you read about a problem with the (fill in the blank) brand, you can sell it.

At this point you may realize that there are no perfect firearms and swear off handguns entirely. Then you will have nothing to worry about.

As payment for solving your problem, why don't you send me that H&K USP. I'm sure I can put it to good use. . .

Shake

9x19

What Shake said...

BTW, I have a couple of (fill in the blank)s for sale... both are in excellent condition and include the factory original buyer's remorse. :p

Email if interested... :D

Bob Locke

You bought a GREAT pistol. (This from a G21 owner who would not hesitate in the least to add an HK USP to his collection.)

I don't know if I'm just letting fear get the better part of reason,

Yes, you are.

Own and shoot it with a high degree of confidence. The odds of you encountering a problem with it are no greater than me hitting a snag with my Glock, which is to say they are very, very low. And if you do have a problem, HK's customer service will see to it that you're taken care of.

Stop sweating it and GO PRACTICE. :D

GSB

I know that some people have had firing pins break. I've live fired a couple of thousand rounds or more through my USP and dry fired many, many times more than that without incident.

That's just my experience. Your mileage may vary.

gryphon

I'm not saying that GLocks are bad, but I think you made the better choice in the HK. Like many have said before, even if the firing pin breaks they are cheap and easily replaced.

The HK is third on my list of favorite pistols of all time, 1st being the 1911, 2nd being the hi-power.

Stop worrying and start enjoying your new acquisition!

Mo_Zam_Beek

What Shake said.

My 2 USPs with 20k seem to be doing just fine.

Web lore -

HK - bad firing pin

Glock - KBs

Sig - poor finish / rust

Beretta - the killer slide of death

What is it for a Kimber, Colt, SA (insert 1911 here) - oh yeah, they are ancient designs that are out dated and eclipsed by "modern" pistols.

Giggle

12-34hom

H&K

I've owned a full sized H&K [variant#1] in 45acp.

I can say that = it was one of the best weapons i've had the pleasure to own and shoot.

Currently, i have one of thier compact models in 357 sig for my personal CCW carry. No problems with it either.

I am a 1911 fan, but H&K runs a close second when it comes to my personal choice of handguns and there applications.

12-34hom.

meat

respone

Ok. You have a good point Shake .
I guess over researching and worrying can really take the enjoyment away. Thanks for the common sense advice.

dj1726

I have a full size USP9 and had a USP45, dry fire alot with no problems. I regret selling my USP45!
MZB,
Sorry to bust the bubble, BUT Sigs did rust! I have/do own a few Sigs and the finish they use is not very rust resistant. The worst experience was with a brand new 225. I had shot it a few times and was very happy with it. Oneday I was headed to the range and got sidetracked. My gear had been in the truck for a couple of days by the time I got around to taking it out. I almost had a stroke when I took my 225 out to put it back in the safe. It was spotted with surface rust. Granted, I live in Florida where it is 80 inside and 95 outside with 90% humidity. I am sure the gun "sweated" and the water sat on the gun. It was just a shock. Since then I have bought a 228, 220, and 226. I had to pamper all of their finishes. I was thrilled when Sig started making the models in stainless. I have swapped most of my Sigs over. No more problems with rust. Speaking of guns rusting, I also hate the finish on my P9 (blued) and my XD9s. They also rust easily.

larryw

Meat, didn't we have this same discussion a couple days ago? I'd also like to echo what Shake and Mr. Locke said.

Additionally, the foundation of your fear is fatally flawed: HK's firing pins are NOT fragile and do NOT often break. They are, in fact extremely durable and RARELY break.

Relax, shoot two boxes of ammo and repeat often.