.45 ACP Blue Dot deer load

849ACSO

Just wanted to run this load up the flagpole and see what everyone thinks.

And before anyone posts about how horrible Blue Dot is for 45ACP, save your time. I have heard that all before. I know folks who LOVE it and folks who HATE it.

Another snippit- I also don't want to hear about how it's unethical/illegal to shoot a deer with a .45ACP. I've heard/read all of that before too. I know my limitations and the rounds limitations.

This load is for a steel framed RIA 1911 with an 18.5 lb recoil spring, and is intended for deer hunting this year, so NOT a steady diet of these. Maybe 20 or so per year (not including the last 25 I shot for testing):

.45 ACP
Nickel, once fired Federal +P brass
Winchester LP Primer
Hornady 200gr XTP
10.3 Grains Blue Dot (10.5 is listed as Max)
Seated at 1.200 (+/- .005)

Just shot 10 test rounds over a chrono (6' from the muzzle). They shot very clean, with no noticeable unburned powder in the action, but I did notice ONE flake on my arm when I looked around. 9 rounds were in the 1020-1035 range and ONE round was 998. Seems about on par with Alliant's data. Recoil was snappy, but not "holy cow" snappy.

Sandbagged at 45 yards with the factory black on black iron sights, it was about a 5" group. I'm thinking this should be good for Missouri whitetail to about 50 yards from a tree stand with some support to shot from.

Will-j

849:
I've loaded (and still have some laying around somewhere), the 230 XTP with 10.2 gr BD. and they chrono 955 avg. @ 12'. You might consider a [Shok-Buff] wafer along with the H-D spring.....It will reduce felt recoil to a minimum, along with metal-to-metal frame/slide battering. I installed an extra wafer [behind] the recoil spring guide an eliminated completely the M-M battering and felt recoil seems less than standard Hardball w/o the wafers.

My Series 80 SS is set up for .45 SUPER (the original loadings...near the .460 Rowland specs, rather than the current +P specs) and with Starline +P cases. I've gotten 1230+ FPS with the 230 XTP and 2400 powder.

The 230 XTP is D E A D ly on whitetails to [my limit] 30 yds.

You're on the right track, and if you have a fully-supported chamber....a few tenths more gr. will be a damn good load for the deer in your area.

WILL.

243winxb

45acp -10.5 gr Blue Dot with 200 gr cast lswc, WLP, shot fine out of a S&W 645. Not a load for a Colt GC. IMO.

GeauxTide

I would only use the 200gr Cast bullets as 243 mentioned and I hope your range doesn't exceed 50 yards. The XTP and other HP bullets for the ACP are designed for humans. With the limited ballistics, penetration is what you want because the .451 diameter doesn't need any expansion. Many years ago, I bought a S&W 4506. The frame was much bigger than my 1911, and I tried the old Jeff Cooper load of 7 grains of Unique under a 200 LSWC. Velocity was 1000fps avg and it was very accurate. It was a max load back in the late 80's, so with +P brass, you might go a little more (I wouldn't). Having that heavier recoil spring is a good idea, but I believe that Blue Dot won't be as efficient or as accurate in Unique.

Last edited:

noylj

My manuals show jacketed start loads of 7.2-10.0gn and MAX loads of 9.0-11.5gn. Seems to be a powder that may be very component/lot number sensitive, so be sure to verify if you get another lot of powder.
You did work UP to that load, didn't you?
Have you considered a .45 Super?

Old Stony

I just don't understand guys trying to push the limits of an unsupported chamber...forgive me if you have something different. I have a good friend that was intent on this and I watched him blow the mag out of a Glock, and the extractor disappeared as well. Luckily he wasn't injured other than some sore fingers of the hand supporting the pistol when he fired it.
I guess it's sort of like guy's hot rodding their cars...."let's see what I can get this baby to do!"

849ACSO

Yes, I worked UP to the load, and beyond, but that's where the best accuracy was, along with respectable speed.

The chamber is supported. Thanks for your concern.

Gbro

Your OP,
This load is for a steel framed RIA 1911 with an 18.5 lb recoil spring,
And this too;
The chamber is supported.
Please explain?
The plus P brass has some additional support probably but the Star Line .45 Super Brass is heavy walled just for this.

GeauxTide

If you look a the side of the piece with a chambered round, you'll see brass where the extractor groove is. If you're going to rod, then Starline is the brand. My son's 45 Colt Ruger, with my 275 Hard Cast under 10gr of Unique at 1050 shot a 150# hog in the nose and created a new butt hole. That load can be pushed to 1300, but how much deader is DRT?

Slamfire

Recoil was snappy, but not "holy cow" snappy.

I tested Blue Dot with 230's in the 45 ACP.

Code:
[SIZE="3"]
Kimber Custom Classic M1911

230 gr LRN Valiant 7.7 grs Blue Dot  Mixed Brass WLP		
21-Jun-06	T = 97  °F		OAL 1.250"	taper crimp .469"

String one

Ave Vel =	797.1				
Std Dev =	29.68				
ES =	121.1			
High = 	855.8			
Low =	734.6			
N =	32			

String two

Ave Vel =	801
Std Dev =	29.12
ES =	118
High = 	861.1
Low =	749
N =	32

accurate, not as accurate as Bullseye Load  long ejection distance stouter recoil[/SIZE]

I had stiff recoil and I attribute it to Blue Dot not being appropriate for the M1911. This powder is too slow and at unlock, residual breech pressures are too high. What results is excessive slide speed and that will peen your frame. I had to replace a Colt M1911 frame due to peening, so don't dismiss this.

If you had something like a Thompson Machine Gun, something with a huge breech block, then Blue Dot would be fine. There are better powder choices that will give you the same velocities without the risk of frame peening.

blackhawk44

Be careful with more recent lots of Blue Dot. Some have been a good bit faster than those several years older. My .357 load that Lyman lists at 888fps., now clocks 1180fps with my most recent Blue Dot. Just beware.

TimSr

And before anyone posts about how horrible Blue Dot is for 45ACP, save your time. I have heard that all before. I know folks who LOVE it and folks who HATE it.

Another snippit- I also don't want to hear about how it's unethical/illegal to shoot a deer with a .45ACP. I've heard/read all of that before too. I know my limitations and the rounds limitations.

Just wanted to run this load up the flagpole and see what everyone thinks.
Sounds like you already know what everyone thinks.

849ACSO

Well,

Since the load is within Alliant's specs with the listed bullet, primer, and case and since the load is where I want to be, I will carry on.