45 acp acquisition

Zathras

I traded my springfield XD9 sub compact for this Norinco 45 1911A1. I had heard that these were forged, and were good guns, and this one is in excellent condition...I'm happy with the trade, but I dont know alot about this chinese company. maybe you pros can tell me more, and see what your opinions on the trade are..

Attachments

• Nornico 01.JPG
    Nornico 01.JPG
    159 KB · Views: 107
  • Norinco 001.JPG
    Norinco 001.JPG
    157 KB · Views: 71

highpower3006

Norinco 1911's are indeed, forged. When they were commonly available, they were used by custom gunsmiths to build race guns. Nice buy!

lee n. field

but I dont know alot about this chinese company.

Norinco == North China Industries, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Red Army. I can't remember ever hearing anything bad about their guns. Too bad we can't get them now, here in the Land of the Supposedly Free.

DaleA

Norinco-I've always heard they were solid guns. The ones I've seen and handled looked fine to me.

I've never forgiven myself for NOT buying a Norinco M14 clone at a gun show in the early 1980's. $800 for a pair of rifles...(one of my relatives was interested too). Didn't get two, didn't get one, still regret it.

lunger

Not a pro but I've had one since before Buba's ban. I've posted about it before as being a gun more accurate than it should be.

I got it to do one of those custom builds but it shot so good out of the box I left it as is . The only changes I made were a trigger job and had Novak mill and add some their sights. Incidentally they charge extra be cause of the hardness of the slide .

It is a shame we can no longer buy them. I think I bought my Nork 45 and a Nork SKS for a little over $300 for both:eek:. But those were the good old days. If I had known I would have bought a dozen.

I think you did well on your trade and will enjoy :)

Zathras

I took it to the range today..Fired great, except it will only shoot 6 rounds instead of the usual 7. It will jam on the first of the 7 rounds.. I attribute this to the magazine, as it was stiff fitting in the bullets..I have plenty of new magazines..next week I will use a new mag.

Mike38

Back when I shot Bullseye, I was talking with a High Master ranked shooter (that podiumed at Camp Perry twice) and he told me that he had a Norinco M1911 built for a back up gun to his Colt Series 70. He ended up liking the Norinco so much he used it as his primary and the Colt became his back up. So the Norinco must be good quality.

imashooter

Bought a decent used Norinco last year (the blued model). Wasn't very accurate or consistent w/ groupings. Added new Wolff springs and a C&S Light Pull Sear Spring. I then added a Wilson Group Gripper which gave me consistency. I then fit an EGW angled barrel bushing which greatly improved accuracy. Finished it with an EGW oversized FPS which provide very consistently patterned and smooth case ejections. I put a tiny but observable radius on the fps. It's now my favorite 1911 in my small collection of 1911 shooters.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:

imashooter

I don't blame you. Mine was minimally acceptable at 15 meters for self defense use. Pretty much a .45 laser now. Very big difference. Hope you get a lot of enjoyment and utility from yours.

HisSoldier

I had one, but when I found that the barrel hood sides had larger than normal or acceptable clearance to the frame I sold it.

Like many Chinese goods, quality tends to be spotty compared to American, however, their materials are often better. American arms makers are gaga over profits made squirting plastic into molds, or aluminum and also, the last ten years or so, big old names that were once honorable began selling guns made with zinc alloys.
Too bad about the ban forced by people who don't understand the second amendment.

KyJim

Norincos are well regarded enough that they were one of only a handful of guns that Wilson used as a base for custom builds. Supposedly, Wilson quit using them because the steel was harder than on other 1911s and it wasn't worth the wear on tooling.

I bought a Nork a while back and it is a solid shooter with a pretty decent trigger. It's not a tack drive but I'm pleased with it. Number 10 below:

James K

Member In Memoriam
I have a Norinco I put 8000 logged rounds through (almost all ball, but some Remington Golden Sabre, with no problem of any kind. That's zero, folks, and not many guns will do that. Of course, it is also boring, but I like that in a gun I might use for self-defense. Failures of various kinds are interestiing, and provide a lot of internet chatter, but I am told they are not a good thing in a firefight.

Jim

dgludwig

Though not a handgun, I purchased a new Norinco ATD 22 rifle back in 1992 from Wal Mart for $99.83. This little Chinese-made rifle is a replica of Browning's .22 Auto rifle (made in Japan by Miruko since 1976) and, though I won't claim that the Norinco is as well finished as the Browning, it is a well-made rifle having a machined steel, engraved (not etched) receiver and a nicely hand-checkered stock. It's too bad that our government saw fit to ban these firearms for sale in America for reasons impossible to decipher rationally because Norinco made guns (certainly including the Model 1911 pistol that the op traded for) that packed a lot of value for the buck.