45 ACP 230 gr vs 185 +P gr

jearne

I am not sure which to go with. I will be putting these through a HK Tactical. Which do you guys find to be the better round for this gun?:cool:

Wild Romanian

I am not sure that I understand your question. If you mean accuracy by all means test them both and determine which shoots better.

If you mean which is more likely to end a fight then I would go with the FMJ 230 grain. It will more than likely penetrate deeper and you will not be relying on a trick bullet to maybe expand and if it does hoping it will still penetrate deeply enough to be quickly lethal.

The only down side is that of overpenetration and the possiblity of hitting someone who is an innocent bystander.

Remember it is bullet placement and penetration that incapacitate.

Not to knock the .45 acp it is a great caliber but I saw both the 9mm FMJ and the .45 FMJ kill pigs and bullet placement and penetration was the key not trick expanding bullets or super high velocity. W.R.

DAVID NANCARROW

It really depends upon what your intended use is. Some pistols like the 230's while others do better with lighter weights. The only way to find out is to test it. Shape of the bullet can also play a part. Personally, I never thought the 45ACP really needed a +P load if you're using the correct bullet in the first place. The nicest thing about 45ACP's in my experience is the fact that almost any load I can reasonably cobble up will work fairly well.

Bottom Gun

I always carry a 230 gr bullet in my 45's. Sometimes I carry hardball, sometimes hollow points.
I've found that a big old heavy bullet ALWAYS beats a lighter, higher velocity bullet when you want to put something down.
I also want the extra weight should I have to penetrate a wall, door, etc. I don't want something that can be stopped by a couple thicknesses of sheet rock.
I figure that if I really need something traveling over 1,000 fps, I'll use the .44 instead.

FYI, I just discovered WalMart sells Winchester Personal Defense ammo, which is a 230 gr HP. They charge $17 for a 50 rd box. They seem to work very well and are certainly less pricey than the Hydrashoks I've been carrying.
I don't think bullet style makes as much difference in a large caliber like .45 as it does in the smaller calibers. I think what matters most is mass.

Snowdog

There is no question as to which has more energy, the 185gr +P will not only possess more energy (due to increased velocity) but it will also dump most of it, all of it infact if there is no over-penetration.

According to Marshal and Sanow, the 230gr Federal HydraShok is tops, with Remington's 230gr Golden Saber coming in (very) close second.

With any full 230gr weight JHP, penetration will certainly not be a concern, you will always experience ample. I cannot say for sure what to expect penetration-wise from a 185gr .45 caliber slug at +P velocities. There will surely be more tissue disruption, but as for penetration, who can say... expansion dictates that. Because a round is marked +P does not guarantee deeper penetration. Increased velocities sometimes equate to more pronounced and rapid expansion with JHPs in general, and this usually is counter-productive to penetration.

Either round you describe will serve it's purpose, and I seriously doubt either will fail if you uphold your end of the deal.

Personally, I have 230gr Federal HydraShoks in my Kimber Custom Classic (home defense) and Hornady 200gr +Ps in my Colt Commander for my Jeep.

Good luck.

RWK

I use 230 grain Federal HydraShok in my full-size .45 ACPs (three 1911A1 types, an H&K USP Tactical, and a Sig P-220). In my "small .45" -- a Glock 36 -- I use 185 grain +P Remington Golden Sabers.

Both are excellent rounds, however, you should get sufficient velocity from the almost five-inch barrel in the Tactical without going to a +P.

George Hill

Staff Alumnus
In a full sized .45 I always tend to prefer 230gr slugs where as in the shorter barrels I start to lighten the grainage to maintain an ideal muzzle velocity. In your full sized HK, stick with the heavier slugs for best impact energy and reliabilty.

Fraser

For my full size 1911's I use 230 gr. FMJ ammo. For my USP .45 Compact I use Winchester 185 gr +P FMJE truncated cone ammo. I feel a lighter bullet is called for in a shorter bbl.

Both make very nice big holes.

I do not worry about overpenetration. In the gunfights I'm aware of, most shooters flat out miss the target with most shots and the rounds go sailing down the street. That is worse than any T and T round.

12-34hom

45acp loadings.

I was always partial to 185 grainers in a plus P loading, thru my H&K. I could get 50 rounds for 17.50$ thru a place in Tenn. This source used New Remington brass, Golden Saber slugs, and claimed 1150 fps muzzel velocity.

From what i've read here though; Federal"s 230 grain JHP are the prefered loading in 45acp.

I really don't think you can go wrong with either loading in 45acp. Choose what works best and go with that.

12-34hom.

Archer1440

I use the Federal HydraShok 230's (and 230's in general) in my HK Tactical, but carry the Federal HS 185+P in my USP .45C for CCW. Both are quite accurate in both pistols.

The Federal 185+P rounds are supposedly just a bit less hot than the Remington Golden Saber rounds by about 10 FPS.

I'm satisfied that the 185+P functions correctly and is accurate in both weapons, but prefer the potentially improved expansion and slightly reduced penetration of the 185+P in a CCW weapon like the compact. I certainly would not hesistate to carry either load.

Both pistols are completely reliable with all commercial .45 rounds I have ever tried, hell, they'll both feed an empty case.

Shok

For self defense I would pick factory loaded 230gr Golden Sabre. Easy shooting, quick follow up shots, and almost as accurate as Hydroshok.

I load 185gr Golden Sabre to 1000 fps (not +P) and like the trajectory more than anything. Accuracy was about the same. The draw back is that it's much louder than 230gr factory loads.

Shok

colorado

230 grain Golden Sabres

I shoot 230 grain Golden Sabres at 1000 fps from my 45 Super modified P90. Similar energy to the 185 +P round, but more lead on target. I heard Remington is making a "bonded" 230 grain Golden Sabre. Anyone heard if they're availabel yet?

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
My choice?

Y, 230 grain JHP's from Federal, commonly called
Hydra-Shok's, of course!!!

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, Life Member N.R.A.

blades67

The 230 grain loads will serve you best from the full size gun.

I also happen to use 230 grain Hydra-Shoks. :cool:

Rebeldon

I typically prefer 230-grain Federal Hydra-shoks. When I practice target shooting, I use 230-grain ammo. I might as well use 230-grain for self defense since that's what I use for practice.

George Helser

The 185gr +P ammo is more powerful than 230gr, and the higher velocity of the 185gr gives greater potential for expansion making it a far better stopper.

On the battlefield where over penetration is a plus, the 230gr may be a good choice particularly if you need a subsonic bullet for suppressed shooting.

For CCW self defense, I would never carry 230gr ammo because it is proven to over-penetrate. Why use 230gr ammo when it is less effective on your target plus so likely to over-penetrate and risk hitting innocents downrange or in another room?.

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

TCW

I guess I'll be the lone advocate of 230gr GOLD DOTS!! I feel that it's a superior bullet design.

P

PreserveFreedom

My thoughts on 185 grain ammo in 45ACP is, "why?" If you are going to shoot a lighter bullet, why not drop another 5 grains to a 180 grain 40S&W and gain some velocity? If you are shooting 45ACP, stay above 200 grains.