45-70

ninemm

IYO...from those knowledgable with the cartridge...what is the best rifle for the 45-70 cartridge?

Single shot...lever action...bolt action...automatic.

Would newer or older style rifles be best?

40CalGuy

experience

seek replies from those more knowlegable than myself. My only experience was with a marlin lever. IMO, you'll need some gloves for a lever. Knuckles take a hit.

steveno

Ruger #1S. the stock design is better than a Marlin Guide gun and a lot easier to shoot. I have had both and the Ruger is what I kept

big jon

Blr

BLR the only way to fly, ive had mine since 89 and i love it, i was a pig guide for years and ive never seen a gun drop game in there tracks all the time... thats what you can expect with the 45/70.
IM003971.jpg

esldude

I too have owned the Marlin and Ruger #1. The Ruger #1 S is a nice rifle for this cartridge. Handy sized, heavy enough to make it a pretty easy to shoot cartridge without being overly heavy. A nice combination, the #1 in 45/ 70.

gripster

i have an H & R Buffualo Classic 45/70 single shot breach loader w/ Williams target sight. really good rifle. runs about $250 or more. :)

Gewehr98

Depends what you're trying to accomplish with the cartridge.

Myself, I've got a Ruger #1S in .45-70, but for making the most of the round, I have a 32" Sharps 1874 Business Rifle in .45-70. I love launching 500-550gr rounds out to 1000 yards and beyond. :D

sharps1874bench.jpg

UniversalFrost

+1 for the Sharps

I have always wanted one.

I have the marlin lever in 45/70 and it shoots great and has killed quite a few deer in it's day. If I lived in hog country it would be my choice. 30/40 Kragg is another good round and you can even pick up old springfield rolling blocks for around 500 in decent condition that are chambered in this round and very shootable.

fal308

Staff Alumnus
I myself have a Remington Rolling Block with a heavy barrel. It can outshoot me any day of the week. I wanted a Sharps but the Rolling Block is more left-hand friendly. Would also really like to have a BLR.

ICE1210

I have the Ruger #1. I have to join the others here in singing the praises of the Ruger. I love the classic lines, and the gun just seems to fit me like a good boot. If you handload you can brew up some pretty incredable loads. It will, of course, kick like a Missouri Jackass.

44 AMP

Staff
It all depends

What do you want out of the rifle. I have a Ruger No. 3, a Marlin 1895, and a rebarreled Siamese Mauser. Also a 14" .45/70 barrel for my Contender, but that is another story.

If you believe you may need a rapid second shot (seldom required in this caliber, provided your first shot is good), the Marlin is the way to go. A Winchester is fine, IF you can find one, and afford it.

The Ruger No.3 is a fine gun, with a 22inch barrel, is is as short and handy as a .30-30 carbine. Due to the light weight, it does kick a bit, even with factory loads, but it is not all that bad. And it is as strong as a bank vault.

The Marlin is strong enough for handloaders to significantly increase the performance above factory loads, and is also fairly handy, although bigger and heavier than the No.3, or a .30-30 carbine.

My Siamese Mauser is a full size rifle, the biggest and heaviest of the bunch, and while a repeater, it is not as quick on follow up shots as a lever gun.

I have a friend who shoots a pair of the excellent Italian made Sharps replicas. He scorns my No.3, (jokingly) saying it would kick too much. While No.3s are uncommon these days, the No. 1 is the same basic rifle, with a longer barrel, and a pistolgrip stock.

To the best of my knowledge, no one makes a semi auto in .45-70. Nor am I aware of any pump guns in this caliber. Single shots, of several action types, lever guns, and bolt actions are all I am currently aware of. I understand the small numbers of the Lee-Enfield rifles are being converted to .45-70. One of these would be fairly fast handling, but recoil would be on the stout side.

MeekAndMild

Marlin 1895 is all I need. Sure you can get a stronger rifle, but the Marlin will take any game in the continental US. IMHO of course. I'm not liable if you get eaten by a grizzly or clawed by a rabid hamster. :eek:

Coltdriver

One thing to keep in mind with the 45-70 is the class of 45-70 round you want to shoot.

For example, the Springfield trapdoor rifles are only safe to shoot with the lightest loadings.

At the other end of the spectrum are the Ruger #1's.

The 45-70 is a very versatile cartridge especially if you like to reload. Not all of the rounds you shoot have to beat you to death.

TABING

I've had a Ruger #3 for thirty some years, light loads work just fine on game, (405 gr @1200 fps). Very accurate rifle, put a 3X9 scope on it to add a little weight, very handy.

Recently got a Marlin 1895, good rifle too.