45-70......For Those Interested!!!

mathman

I agree, but if you're taking on a charging grizzly, I doubt you'll get off more than five shots...just to play devil's advocate.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
Full length magazine?

Well, it would LOOK good, maybe. It's already a 7.5 pound rifle. With a 24" barrel, a full mag would hold about seven cartridges. Three more 400 to 500 gr. loads that far out would sure make it front heavy.

I have the 1895GS, which has an 18.5" barrel. It feels quite good with 4+1 aboard. :p

Best,
Johnny

FirstFreedom

I'd like a full length tube also, or at least 1-2 more capacity.
I agree, but if you're taking on a charging grizzly, I doubt you'll get off more than five shots...just to play devil's advocate.
Good point, though.

But the question is, what, precisely, is different about this rifle, from a regular stainless 1895?

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
The different Marlin .45-70s

First Freedom asked:
But the question is, what, precisely, is different about this rifle, from a regular stainless 1895?
Researching the link above, I see that, dealing only with the Marlin .45-70 rifles, we are offered:

**Classic 1895 - - 22" bbl, 4-shot magazine, black walnut straight-grip stock, solid rubber butt plate, black finish, 7.5 pounds

**1895 XLR -- 24" bbl, 4-shot magazine, laminated pistol grip stock, ventilated recoil pad, stainless construction, 7.5 pounds

**1895 GS -- 18.5" bbl, 4-shot magazine, black walnut straight-grip stock, ventilated recoil pad, stainless construction, 7 pounds

**1895G -- 18.5" bbl, 4-shot magazine, black walnut straight-grip stock, ventilated recoil pad, black finish, 7 pounds

**1895 Cowboy -- 26" octagon bbl, 9-shot magazine, black walnut straight-grip stock without sling studs, hard rubber butt plate, black finish, 8 pounds

Note that only the XLR and the GS are stainless. All models have the four shot magazine except the Cowboy model.

If it was important to me to have a full length magazine, I'd probably order one for the Cowboy model and cut it to fit whichever shorter rifle I had. Of course, I'd have a blue mag tube, which would make an interesting contrast to an otherwise stainless rifle. ;) OTOH, with my 18.5" GS model, I'd only realize one extra round. Expense aside, I'm uninterested in altering the handiness and balance of a purt'near ideal heavy carbine.

Best,
Johnny