45/70 cast bullet

sewerman

receiving a marlin 45/70 LTD II on thursday.

i'll be shooting cast from it.

does anyone have a suggestion on loads they have worked up?

i have heard 300gr bullet with trailboss.
also that 3130 IMR powder is good for this caliber.

i have hundreds of 325gr cast that were given to me so i guess that's what i will shoot for now

sewerman

Any experience with the RUGER #1.

I just made my choice today between the #1 and a very nice Marlin.

If not for the fact I have a years long love afare with the #1, the Marlin could have won the toss.

However, here I am, a new 45/70 owner, also looking for cast bullet and load info.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Thanks Shoney.

I have never had grouping issues with a #1, everyone I have had has been a good to excellent shooter.

I hope for reasonable groups with this rifle, but know I am throwing a different factor into the mix with cast bullets.

May need lots of advice.

Will probably glas bed the forend and butt as has been my normal situation in the past, and where this #1 has the Alexander Henry forend - one of the few things I don't like about these rifles, - I will probably put an ebony forend tip on at a 45 degree angle, just back of the forend grove.

Done carefully, the checkering needs little if any recutting, the barrel mounted sling mount is still usable and the effect makes one sweet looking rifle.

Last one I did was with a nice piece of contrasting walnut, but think I hanker for ebony on this one.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot