45-70 barrel length?

teumessian_fox

I'm leaning heavily toward a Browning B-78 in 45-70 (mainly because I can't find a 30-06 without the right handed cheekpiece).

Gunbroker has the 78's offerings with 24 inch, 28 inch and 30 inch barrel lengths. Ignoring actual hunting conditions (thick woods vs. open plains), does one barrel length maximize the 45-70's accuracy over the other (barrel length)?

hammie

Others on this site know much more than I do, but I would expect no inherent difference in accuracy between those barrel lengths. I might expect some difference in practical accuracy due to the longer sighting radius of the longer barrels, if you are using iron sights. The problem is that the advantage of the longer sight radius begins to decline as you get over 40 years of age. At that point, either the middle sight, the front sight, or the target gets fuzzy because it becomes hard to focus in all three planes at once.

The only other factor would be if a higher muzzle velocity from a longer barrel gave a flatter trajectory and made hitting things easier. However, the expansion ratio (the ratio between the case capacity and bore diameter squared) of the .45-70 is such that I would not expect much difference in velocity or trajectory between the barrel lengths you're considering.

kraigwy

Depends on what you are gonna do with the rifle. If hunting, with smokeless powder and scopes, the barrel length doesn't matter much.

If you are planning on shooting BPCR Matches, silhouettes, or creedmore matches, using iron sights and black powder, you want the longest barrel you can get. Iron sights work better with the longer sight radius and black powder does better in longer barrels.

teumessian_fox

It's exclusively a hunting rifle. Unless I can find a similar B78 in 30-06, 270 or 25-06 (w/octagon barrel and no cheekpiece), I'll probably go with the 45-70.

mete

My 45-70 1885 came with the 28" barrel.I wanted it lighter and more convenient for hunting in the woods [with scope] . I cut 6" off to make a 22" barrel. Total weight with scope and strap is 8.5 lbs .Light enough for easy carry but heavy enough for hot loads if I ever need that.Length 37". Best gun mod I ever made !
As for velocity - remember the case and original velocity gives you a good idea. Under 2000 fps and a straight case gives you a small reduction in velocity .I use the 300 gr factory or equivalent , especially with Nosler partition as in the Win Partition load .I haven't chronographed it but loss is minimal, don't worry about it.

B.L.E.

Hawg Haggen said:
You will gain several hundred fps with the longer barrels.

With smokeless loads, you'll probably only gain several tens of fps with the longer barrel.
It's black powder that really needs long barrels.

Weight is your friend when shooting a .45-70, especially if you want to shoot those 500 grain bullets. The more the rifle weighs, the less it kicks.

BusGunner007

I opted for the Marlin 1895 in .45-70

22" bbl. seemed to be just right.
Put on a DRC lever and am debating whether or not I should add the aftermarket trigger and ejector parts to finish it off.
The scope/mount/rings are Redfield Widefield/JR 1-pc./JR bottom-screw low, respectively.

DSCN0710.jpg

DSCN0705.jpg

This is my specially refinished RUGER SuperRedhawk .44 I chose to be the companion sidearm for the Marlin.
I added a KA-BAR USMC blade for the fun of it to complete a 'set'.
Now all I need to do is USE IT!

DSCN0146.JPG

Here's some good ammo to feed them with.
Specializing in .44 and .45-70 only, as far as I know.

http://www.garrettcartridges.com/ :D