45-70 at 1,000 yards....

RedneckFur

they done it all the time back in the old days. I'm no 45-70 guru, so I can't give specific details, but its very possible.

You'll be working with lots of bullet drop and you'll likely need a vernier sight to do it.

riggins_83

Straight from the Winchester website ballistics table:

45-70 Government
300 gr. Supreme® Partition Gold®

Yards Velocity FPS Energy ft/lbs Long Trajectory (in.)(200 yard zero)
500 910 551 -193.7

As a comparison the Winchester 180 grain accubond 300 win mag:

Yards Velocity FPS Energy ft/lbs Long Trajectory (in.)(200 yard zero)
500 2095 1754 -39

It has certainly been done but I'd be more likely to go with a 300 win mag versus 45-70 at that kind of range.

16 foot drop at 1000 yards and 910 FPS (43% of the 300 win mag velocity at that range) and subsonic for the past 100 yards... not sure I'd count on that. Cannot use standard irons or a scope.. will need a vernier sight for sure.

knight0334

People shoot 45-70's a 1000yrds everyday. So long as the gun itself doesn't cause inaccuracy problems, accuracy is more a shooter problem than it is a cartridge issue.

You just have to get past the laser beam flat shooting bullet thing equaling accuracy.

My uncle and myself shoot groundhogs out to 550yrds(both have kills that far), and shoot at them even further with our 45-70's. A buffalo sized iron plate at 1000yrd wouldn't be much more difficult.

Malamute

There are several long range shooting events with black powder cartridge rifles. The Quigley shoot in Mt shoots out to 800 yards. Don't know what distances they shoot at Virgina City Mt.

The US military did some 45-70 shooting for tests out to a mile or more. Not sure what sort of accuracy.

In his book "The Winchester Lever Legacy", Clyde Williams remaked that with tang sights on 1886 Winchesters in various chamberings, hits on a 55 gallon drum @ 1000 yards was "unbelievable". He used mainly higher performance smokeless loads.

JohnKSa

Administrator
http://www.researchpress.co.uk/longrange/sandyhook.htm

The article in the link starts with the following paragraph:

THE SHOOTER at the heavy bench rest squinted as he aligned his .45-70 Allin-Springfield Model 1873 Army rifle on the distant target. The rifle fore-stock and barrel was cradled in a rest; the butt was supported by his shoulder. The rear sight was flipped up to its full height, so with no stock support for his head, the rifle tester from Springfield Armory worked carefully to align high rear and low muzzle sight on the speck that was the target - a surveyed 2,500 yards distant.​

kiwi56

45-70 @ 1000yds

Hank Williams Junior and Mike Venturino were able to reliably hit a buffalo silouhette at 960 yds with both a 45-110 and 45-70
Billy Dixon made the most famous shot of all when he knocked an indian off his horse at a surveyed 1738 yards with another blackpowder cartridge that could have possibly been a 50-90

wvshootist

hows about 2 miles?

check out this article on the 45-70 tested at 2 miles range at the Sandy Hook proving grounds. Check it out @ the link below.

http://www.wahsatchdesperadoes.com/45-70%20at%20Two%20Miles.htm

An excerpt from the article .....

The Report of the Secretary of War, 1880, Volume III, under the chapter titled, "Extreme Ranges of Military Small Arms," had this to say:

"The firing was done by Mr. R.T Hare of Springfield Armory who has the enviable distinction, so far as is known, of being the only person in the world who has hit the 'Bull's-Eye' six feet in diameter at 2,500 yards with three different rifles, and who has ever fired at and hit so small a target as that described in this report at 3,200 yards.
In comparison with this, all other so-called 'long range firing' pales into insignificance. The gun was held under the arm, a muzzle rest only being used.