45-120 NE filler problem solved.

sc928porsche

Its been a long process, but I have finally found the right combination.

For those who have a 45-120 that is capable of the pressures of the 450 NE it is easy enough to use 4198 powder. The biggest problem is being able to fill up the gap between the powder and bullet. Most use something like kapoc but the heat when firing melts the materiel and leaves a coating on the bore. Not a good thing for me, very difficult to clean.

Instead, I made wads similar to the shotgun wads of yesteryear out of business card paper. I put in my powder load and then a wad. Next, I filled the case with corn meal to the level of the base of the bullet when installed and then followed by another wad. Once the powder, wad, corn meal, and wad are in place, the bullet is inserted and slightly compressed.

As I stated earlier, it took a while to make a scoop that holds the proper amount of corn meal, but now that it is done I have and easy way to load my 405 grn bullets. I am working on the 500 gr. scoop next.

Range tests show that this combo works well and groupings are suprisingly tight. Looks like the deer this season had better learn how to duck quickly. :D

Kapoc, if you can find some, is a natural fiber and should burn rather than melt. Polyester pillow stuffing is another matter, and will melt, as will PufLon or other plastic fillers. You may want to look at them again, anyway. Yes, they melt, but that makes them shrink, and that extra space is what prevents the chamber ringing that cereal fillers are famous for causing. Search the Castboolits forum for more information on fillers.