.45-120 info

Double J

I'm looking at a Quiqley in .45-120. Mostly just to hang on wall, but I may shoot it also. Anyone familiar with these? What about ammo sources?

Gewehr98

The .45-120 is a specialized beast.

I would sincerely recommend starting with a .45-70 if you're going to play the black powder cartridge game, then work your way up to a .45-90 or longer. A full-patch .45-120 load is well into .458 Winchester Magnum territory. John Taffin is a big fellow, bigger than my 6'0" 200lb frame, and he had to go with a strap-on recoil shield after the third round from his .45-110, and that's 10 grains lighter in the powder department.

http://www.sixguns.com/range/sharps45110.htm

The .45-120 may be one of the biggest, baddest BP cartridge rounds out there, great for bragging rights, but not always the most comfortable to shoot. If you download it via smokeless powder or using filler wads with BP, you're just wasting expensive 3 1/4" brass on .45-70 ballistics. Hence my saying one should work up to those bigger rounds, starting with the venerably .45-70 first. ;)

Steve499

At the range today, after I shot up all the 45/70s I had loaded to try in my Sharps, I primed some cases and filled them to the top with Swiss 3f. I got a card wad in there to hold the powder in and then breech seated a 550 grain bullet. I weighed a charge later and it weighed out at 81 grains. I shot 10 of those and they did kick, some. My regular 45/70 loads are pretty pleasant to shoot, those 10 were at the upper end of pleasant, and if I had to touch off 90 or 100 grains of powder behind a big bullet like that, I'm almost certain I would find life kinda grim after the first 5 shot string.

I'd still LOVE a 45/110.

Steve