44mag Unique Powder Light Loads

bird_dog

Good morning...

I've been a fan of Unique for as long as I've been reloading. My typical hunting load with the .44mag (Taurus M44 and Ruger Super Redhawk) is 10.9gr of Unique pushing a 240 grain jacketed soft point. I've killed lots of deer and targets with this load.

I have a lighter trail gun coming down the pike, and would like to stick with Unique and the 240 gr JSP's, without breaking my wrist. Any suggestions on a nice plinking / anti-coyote round. 8.5 grains of Unique? Any reason not to go even lighter than that?

I want to avoid using Special cases, as I have a massive supply of the magnums from years of shooting.

I welcome any suggestions. Thanks.

Wallyl

.44 Mag Light loads w/Unique powder

8.8 grains will do just fine..you can use as little as 8.0 grains.

For my light loads I use 8.0 of Promo with a 214 Lee SWC or the Lyman 215 SWC-GC bullet. I shoot a Model 29 and a Ruger Superblackhawk, both with long barrels. I prefer Promo as it is bulkier and a bit more consistent, but there is nothing wrong with using Unique.

bird_dog

Thanks Wally. I tried throwing a few charges from my Lee Auto Disk last night, and one of the apertures gives me a nice, consistent 8.3 grains.

I may try that and work up to 8.8.

rclark

8.0g to 10.0g of Unique should get you where you want to be.... Somewhere in there should be an accurate load. I personally don't shoot jacketed bullets in any of my revolvers, so no specific loads for you from any of my tests....

twobit

In my 45 colt revolver and my 92 rifle I use Unique for hunting (close to maximum loads) and use Trailboss powder for plinking / target loads. You might want to try some Trailboss in your 44 magnum as a less than maximum load option.

Rifleman1776

For light loads in my Redhawk .44 mag. I use 180 gr. or 210 gr. hard cast SWCs and Win. 231 powder. Might be considered 'light' for a .44 mag. but still a killer load.

Powderman

Two suggestions for you:

1. Start casting your own! I cast the 250 grain Keith type LSWC, out of straight wheelweights; sized to .430, and lubed with Javelina Alox. Those bullets shoot wonderfully on top of 8.5 of Unique, and are very, very accurate.

2. I'd also recommend a short barrel (4-6") for these loads. Recoil is actually not too bad, but in a longer barrel (like my 8 3/8" Model 29) there's some serious in-barrel time that will cause them to shoot quite high if the charge is too low.

For a really good, accurate fun load, you could use the 200 grain JHP on the same charge. More velocity and flatter trajectory.

Powderman

Beginner, that is true. However, if you use that in .357 cases you might want to consider a faster powder, such as Bullseye, HP38/W231 or the like.

As someone mentioned above, I have heard lots of good stuff about Trail Boss powder.

I'm not sure if I should say anything or not. I use 10 grains of Unique with Missouri Bullet 240 grain Elmer K lead swc. I pretty much thought of that as my "light" load. I load Nosler 240 grain JSPs with 21.0 of 2400. The 10 grain Unique loads are bunnyphart compared to the 2400 loads.

bird_dog

Why don't you just buy a .22lr pistol? Or carry a 45acp semi-auto?

I have both, and carry them quite frequently...

I'm just looking for some input on light Unique loads, using a JSP...I think the intent of my original post was pretty much overlooked!