.444 or .375 Win Bolt or Auto?

SavageSniper

I have Googled this to death without any results, so I need your help. Has anyone ever made a bolt action or auto rifle in either .444 or 375 Win? Or even the 45/70. This came up over drinks one evening discussing the perfect brush gun for hogs and deer. I know there are many lever actions and single shots, but none of the other. Anyone know?

jbadams66

You are not going to find to many bolt action rifles chambered in rimmed cartridges. YOu could probably find a 450 marlin if you look hard enough or want to make one.

SavageSniper

Yes I know there are not many but the 30-30 was chambered by Savage in a bolt action, then there was the .303 Enfield. Is the only problem the tapered mag?

FirstFreedom

And also, how is a turnbolt better than a levergun for hunting? I can see *maybe* a semi, for faster follow ups, but the levers are already the perfect brush guns, in those calibers and others (.358 win, .35 rem, .44 mag, etc.)

CraigC

No autos although the Enfields are readily converted to .45-70. Can't think of a reason to though, with so many fine leverguns available in both calibers.

Neither round really set the world on its ear.

Had they done better commercially it's possible that someone would have chambered one or both in a bolt or semi-auto.

VonFireball

Hey, I built a Enfield No. 4 Mk II in 444 caliber with the help of a friend.

It's my hog gun. It'll pack a nice wallop, let me tell you.

I think that if you do your own loading, a 45-70 equivalent round can be developed.

The 444 is a dog in a micro grooved marlin gun. The levergun can't handle the pressure that a real load will produce, hence, I get to shoot waaaaay hotter loads.

I just ordered two clips for it from Midway. You gotta modify the ears on the clips in order to feed the rounds up properly. It'll hold about 6 rounds.

I threw a red dot on there.......now I just gotta get me some hawgs!

Don't underestimate that cartridge. It'll stop a bear clean in his tracks! Plus, you can show everybody the king of the .44 cartridges...haha

Scorch

Never heard of anyone producing an autoloader in either chambering, most likely due to the difficulties of getting rimmed cartridges to feed. But I did see the 458 WinMag BAR Safari grade from Browning that made the rounds of the big gun shows back in the 1980s. I believe it was a one-off rifle, not a standard production model. I imagine it would be possible for a gunsmith familiar with BAR operating systems to convert a magnum BAR to fire 458 WinMag.

Jim Watson

Rimmed cartridges are kind of aggravating to get to run in bolt and auto actions. I know of no factory rifle in .444 or .375 Win other than lever and single shot. Long ago, the Remington-Lee was made in .45-70 and it was kind of a cottage industry to convert the Siamese Mauser to .45-70 because it was originally made for a rimmed 8mm and had the slanted magazine to avoid rimlock. The British made a wide range of sporting rifles in rimmed calibers on Lee-Enfield actions, but they are pretty much obsolete now.

You probably would not want to pay a gunsmith to build one up; although it could be an advanced DIY like Von's.

VonFireball

Well, at the moment my price list was something like this.....

......Enfield action.....$8.50
......new england arms .44 barrel.......$35.00 on sale
......rifle stock......got it for nothing, plan for a bell and carlson or equivalent
......BSA red dot sight off ebay.......27.95
......uncle mikes super swivels.........cheap as hell
......cheapo nylon sling for silence and weight

so, I got about 60 bucks in the thing.....shoots pretty good for that price. Nice heavy barrel...stock is a little chewy looking, but hey, it's a hawg gun.

SavageSniper

Von, thats about what I am thinking of. A bolt action with about an 18.5 inch barrel. An M4 style AR would be great also. As for the lever actions, I have a 44mag and a 30-30. Both are great guns for the close work, though I trust the 30-30 more esp. on hogs. My desire is for a hard hitting round for "special" hunts. Alot of the places that I hunt are intermingled with trails, farms, etc that may have livestock or even other people moving on them. I want a rifle that is good to 100 yrds, thats it. Most of the time under these conditions I use a shotgun, which takes care of the distance thing, but we are riflemen right? I even considered slugs, and maybe. Alot of the rounds for the AR have my intrest and maybe that will finally drive me to reload:D.