444 marlin

tdoyka

i might get the 357 max, but my younger brother started talking and said the 444 marlin. it made me wonder, better cast bullets, comes in 100(45-70 comes in 50), beartooth 300-355gr. i'm wondering a little more, so lets get this started ... a encore in 20" mgm factory heavy barrel, laminated stock, and a 3x9 scope in 444marlin with either 300 gr wfn gc or the 355gr WLN DCG gc. will this kick? should i use a muzzle break? i use a 44 mag ruger redhawk and it doesn't bother me. this should shoot deer out to 100yards, maybe 150. i don't plan on using any factory ammo, nor jacketed bullets(hornady, speer, etc) had a stroke, right side is about 20% normal. i handload, so it really isn't a problem. i can shoot on 3 legged sticks and caldwel's dead shot.
1. does it recoil?
2. should i have a muzzle break installed?
3. 300-355gr cast bullets were do they load, 1400-1900fps?
4. i'll think of it sometime :)
thanks alot!!!! my brother is killing me! :D

Guv

I had a Marlin 444 and max loads with the Barnes 300gr hp using I think (been about 25 yrs) H322 shot 1" 3 shot groups at 100yds with an old 4X Weaver scope. I thought the damn thing kicked just as much as my Ruger#1 S .338 Win Mag! Wasn't so much my shoulder as my cheek bone.:eek: The 265gr Hornady Interlock shot equally well (I think with 4198) and flattened several feral hogs. Never tried cast bullets, it's a helluva lot more gun than a 357 Max!

hornetguy

I've never shot an Encore, but I imagine it is about a 7.5lb rifle with scope attached?
You realize, I'm sure, that since you reload, you can load up whatever kind of load you want? Even a light load in a .44 caliber should give good results with a cast bullet. If you load it up to your maximum comfort level, it will probably kill anything in North America out to 100, maybe 150 yards. What more could you want?

Of course, a .357 Max rifle on the same platform would probably recoil about like a light loaded .243. The range should be about the same, unless you load pointy bullets in either one. That might gain you a little in trajectory, but you would lose the good "slap" of a large meplat cast bullet.
Just some random thoughts...

ammo.crafter

ah, ha.

I happen to have both calibers and enjoy them both. The 444 is an extremely powerful round that I use for bear hunting. I remember that it would knock whitetails over within 50 yds.
But, depending on what you intend to use it for, the max is an awesome and much under-rated round. I've used it on large hogs and it does the job extremely well with 180 hard cast linotype flat points.

If it were me. I would go with the max.

rrob692326

I shoot a 444 marlin with 405 gr. wfn cast bullets from my 14 inch contender with no brake. Lots of fun, kicks more than my 45/70 magnaported contender with 500 grain bullets. 25 or 30 shots becomes a religious experience.

Doyle

Let me start with this: Do you already have a .444 Encore barrel? The reason I ask is that those .444 Encore barrels are dang scarce.