.444 marlin or .338 win mag?

Z-TURK

I am looking at these calibers as possibly replacing my current rifles. just looking to find insight on whats a good rifle to get. looking at a savage 111 or 116 for the .338. maybe a visual scale pic showing the two bullets together. thanks.

The Terminator

What are you going to do with the new rifle? At shorter ranges, each is equally effective, at longer ranges the 338 has less bullet drop. Is there anything in Az that needs a 338? I had a BAR in 338 once, I felt sure that it would reach out and kill humanely at any reasonable distance that I would take a shot. I had a Marlin 444P, good for less than 200 yards for me. I personally like big, heavy bullets, so I'd use the 444 if I could. Lots of bullets for the 444 if you handload. Best - Ted

Z-TURK

mostly for the range but i do go out sometimes with reactive targets. yeah i will be reloading both rounds.

Z-TURK

i also looked at a ruger .338 win mag. just looking for feedback on some quality rifles for around $550 in .338 win mag and .444 marlin

j.chappell

If you want a 338 I would go with the Howa, Weatherby Vanguard, or Savage.

As far as a 444, your choices are few, TC, Marlin, and NEF (H&R), I believe that may be it, and you are going to find that you wont be able to get a new one for under $550 unless you go with an H&R.

If I have missed any I'm sure someone will let you know.

J.

Last edited:

Z-TURK

my cousin has a weatherby vanguard in 30-06 and had a few problems after 300-400 rounds. trigger is real stiff. feels like 14lbs grinding across sandpaper. gun is cleaned every outing also. i wonder if anyone else has had the same problem.

45-70Govt

I had both, the 338 Win in a BAR and the 444 in a Marlin.
Asi it turned out I never shot anything with the BAR although it was a very accurate rifle.
The 444 came with that long barrel and I had it cut down to 19 1/2 inch. I ended up using the Hdy. 265 gr FN bullet exclusively and that rifle and bullet took several moose, a black bear and some mulies. It was either drop and flop or a few steps staggering and drop.
Being a lefty, the Marlin was great and I never had to worry about any long shots anyway. Straight or tapered cases are easy to reload and the brass seemed to last forever.

tuffteddyb

personally i would go with the 338 win,great all around gun.either in tikka t3 or in the savage,i have the tikka and love it,works great on muleys just got be careful about hittin them bones.

3StrikesNC

Two's a pair ....

First, Forget all the above posts.

Second, get both of the calibers.

I have a .338 Win Mag in a Weatherby Sporter.
I also have a .444 Marlin Lever.

The Weatherby's for the fields and perimeters.
The Marlin's for the tree and in the thick of the woods.

And they BOTH make me VERY HAPPY.

Just kidding about "forget the above posts", but not my pair.:)

El Paso Joe

Ditto what 3strikes said. Get both.

Shoot them. Pet them. Feed them well. I have always erred on the side of excess when I have been faced with a choice...

wyobohunter

I had a 444 marlin (the Marlin rifle). With a Leupold fixed 4 power it was a great Elk and Mule deer rifle out to 200 yds. I was reloading with the 265 gr. HDY FN, don't recall what powder I was using. I also had the Winchester in this same cartridge, didn't care for the gun itself (not as accurate, can't remove bolt easily). Can't comment on the .338 win as I've never owned one.