44 spl guys

Old Grump

Member in memoriam
Don't have a 44 spcl revolver but would like one. I shoot 44 spcl out of my Ruger Super Blackhawk w/7 1/2" barrel and I like it because it is powerful enough for small game hunting and SD purposes and next to my S&W M41 the most accurate handgun/load combination I own.

Rmart30

I bought my CA bulldog in about 97/98 so its the older design without the barrel underlug.
I bought it for its light weight compared to a N frame smith 44.
It doesnt get shot a lot. It is not my choice for EDC. I put maybe 50 rds a year thru it just to make sure it stays in good working order and it resides in one of my vehicles or in my boat loaded with shot shells when out fishing.

Here is a review on the newer style with the underlug if thats the model you are looking at.

http://gunblast.com/Bulldog_Pug.htm

gak

.357 or better (bigger hole) SD effectiveness but at subsonic speeds. In midframe (Colt, clones, Ruger New Vaquero and newer FTs) single actions that .45 is often shot through, can be loaded in a wider range due to more safety margin (metal) in cylinders. 45s can be loaded much hotter, but you need to move up to a larger frame gun (full size Blackhawk, original/old Vaquero) to take full advantage of. Fun and effective to shoot without the often unnecessary (for target or quarry) sturm und drang of a magnum.

PetahW

[Tell me why you like it and do you carry it? ]

I carry my stainless .44 BD Pug daily in cold weather, as I feel the .44 work better on thicker clothing than some other choices may.
Also, my somewhat heavier cold weather clothing helps with concealment, as it's somewhat bulkier (wider though the cylinder) than, say. a .38/.357 revolver.

Besides, a forty-four usually makes opponents head for the door. ;) :p

tulsamal

The best thing about .44 Special is that it can be chambered in a gun that is too small to be used for a .44 Magnum. Sure, you can use .44 Special as a practice load in a Magnum but that's not the same thing. The fans of the cartridge are talking about things like the medium frame Ruger single actions (made on the .357 magnum size frame) or the L frame S&W DA's (M296, 396, 696).

So then you have a medium size gun with a large bore cartridge loaded to less than magnum velocity. Typically in the 800-1100 fps range. Depending on the gun and how much recoil you want to tolerate. Plenty of punch for most situations. Much easier to deal with than a full magnum and a heck of a lot easier to carry around all the time than a full size N frame or Super Blackhawk/Redhawk.

Gregg

jglsprings

The only Taurus (Tauri?) guns that I still own. Both are great guns, never a problem and the little one has saved my bacon on more than one occasion.

4531343656_6ebe57de38_z.jpg

Nice big bullet, easy to control. Usually stops any and all conversation.

Pond James Pond

I have a .44 Mag, and half, if not more, of the rounds through it have been .44 Spl.

I like this calibre because it feels so mild, especially compared to the Mag, out of my Redhawk and yet is not a world apart from .45ACP in terms of ballistics. .45s are no pea shooter calibre!! So I have a meaty calibre that is easy to shoot!

schnarrgj

Have one of the 80's Charter bulldog pug. Being a nice large caliber round and fitting nicely in my pocket, it makes a very good winter carry. The 44 is a large slow round that tends to do the job necessary with a relatively reasonable amount of recoil and muzzle blast. What is there not to like?

rclark

Five rounds of .44 spl tucked in my waistband. I'll take that over five rounds of .38 any day.
+1. Goes for .357 too. Big and slow is the way to go (IMO). Subsonic for lower noise level, yet would get the job done. Carry CA Bulldog .44Spec and have 3 other Single Action .44Specs for the woods ... if not carrying a .45 Colt revolver that is ;) .

briandg

The 44 special at .429 inches is a perfect compromise big bore pistol.

A.357 magnum is capable of extremely deep penetration with the 158 grain bullet and stiff loads. To get penetration that deep with a .45 would require even greater velocities than the .357 achieves, with massive bullets.

A .429 bullet, or even .41* in the .10 mm/.40 calliber rounds will allow for good penetration at realistic velocities, lighter bullets, lower recoil, etc.

Any one of these cartridges make great combat rounds. All things considered, myself, I'd choose the .44 special over all of them. It will be less intense than a full house .357, but still be almost identically effective. it will be pretty much equal to even the heavier 10 mm rounds. moderate loads in a .44 special will be more controllable than the heavier loads in a .45 acp, and penetrate better.

You really could pick any of these, and get the ultimate combat handgun, with experts on every side supporting their own favorites, but my preference would be a heavier frame .44 special.

If you were to research it, you would find out that "dirty harry" didn't use .44 magnum. the character was actually firing .44 special loads in that revolver.

CWKahrFan

I have a CA Bulldog and like it a lot.

.44 Special is a great round for SD IMHO. There are a lot of ardent fans. I think of it as .45 ACP in revolver form and feel it deserves more model choices.

I don't CARRY my Bulldog often but when I do I feel very confident.

drail

Although I have carried a Bulldog every day since 1987 buying a new one is just about like buying a lottery ticket. You might get lucky. Mine has never failed once. It is NOT fun to shoot but it will most assuredly do the job when you need it to. If you get one stay away from +P hot light weight bullet loads. (Corbon, Buffalo Bore, etc.) Somewhere between 200 and 240 gr. is what you want. These guns will have a short life if fired with HOT ammo. There are a lot of used/abused out there for sale. Be wary. Besides, you don't need to do that with the .44 Spl. Best load I have found is a 215 gr. flatnose cast slug traveling about 900+ fps. It will make a bowling pin do a double back flip off of the table if you hit it center mass. A 240 traveling at even 850 has more energy than a .45 ball round. That's plenty. If you shop for a Bulldog (or any Charter) take someone who knows revolvers with you to check it out. If you buy a new one the factory should and has been doing a good job of fixing any manufacturing defects. The Bulldog is a "carry a lot - shoot it enough to be able to hit with gun". But you can stick it in a holster and carry it all day and actually forget it's there at times. Cooper described it as "a great concept poorly executed". Just carry it and keep the range short. The shorter the better. The .44 Spl. has been a very effective round since 1907 and it's still selling.

Last edited:

rclark

Just carry it and keep the range short. The shorter the better.
Short range is what most SD guns are intended for :) . My little 2010 .44Specal Bulldog will hit round 12" steel out there at 77 yards (because that is the 'back' of the range via a range finder) no problem though (if I do my part) .

CajunBass

I don't carry mine, but it's as heavy as a brick. At seven yards it cuts six shot, one hole groups. At fifty, I have no trouble keeping a gallon milk jug jumping.

Smith & Wesson 21-4, "Thunder Ranch."

100_0385.jpg

And it just looks like it's ready to go in harms way.

BarryLee

Ok, you guys peaked my curiosity, so I went to S&W’s WEB site to check out .44 Special carry pistols and could not find anything except the Model 24 with a 6.5 inch barrel. Is it an issue with my search technique or does S&W not currently offer any dedicated .44 Special handguns? :confused: