.44 Spl. at the range (pics)

tipoc

This is a post about two guns and some brands of .44 Spl.

The guns are a S&W M 629 Magnaport Custom. If I remember right it is their Defender Model with a 2.5" barrel. The other is a S&W 624 from a run for Lew Horton distributors a decade or so back with a 3" barrel. Both have very good triggers and obviously had some work done on them.

two44s2.jpg

The ammo for this outing was:
Winchester 200 gr. Silvertip HP which, according to Winchester gets about 900 FPS out of a 6.5" barrel.
CCI Blazer 200 gr. Gold Dot HP which has a claim of 875fps likely out of a 6" barrel.
Cor-Bon 165 Gr. HP which likely gets 1050 fps out of a 4" barrel.

All this ammo falls in the self defense category. Reduce the velocities some out of these snubbys. I have no way of measuring the velocity out of these guns. The old rule of thumb of 25 fps for inch of barrel was never accurate. Too many variables, as Phil Sharp showed many years ago. Likely I got from 800-900 fps out of this varied ammo. The ammo used has been shown to expand some at these velocities.

I haven't found the perfect grips for these guns. I've tried several. For now they are both wearing Hogues as you can see. Grips make a difference in how a gun fits the hand and therefore how a shooter shoots. Finger groove grips generally don't fit me, but the palm swell of the Hogues does melp some. The rubber grips shown are thinner than the wood. I shoot a small bit better with the rubber.

I'm about a mediocre shot, but fairly consistant in it. So most of what you see here is:
1. That the same ammo will shoot differently out of different guns. Finding out what ammo a particular gun like is part of the fun.
2. That grips affect shooting.
3. That I tend to anticipate the shot and push into it, causing me to shoot a bit to the left.

All targets were shot at 15 yards from a Weaver stance. The point of aim was the bottom of the 2"x2" bull.

First up the Winchester. The difference may be the grips and that the 624 prefers this a bit.

two44s1.jpg

Next the CCI. The 629 prefers this ammo while the grips accentuate my shooting to the left.

two44s5.jpg

The Cor-Bon. I didn't bother adjusting the sights for elevation with the lighter bullet. The 624 likes this round quite a bit. Slightly better bullet in it perhaps.

two44s6.jpg

Some conclusions, I need to keep looking for the perfect grips for me. The Hogues have the annoying finger grooves and add an unnecessary half inch to the length of the stock.

The .44 spl. is a very nice round to shoot. A 240 gr. bullet at about 900 fps would be quite shootable out these guns and optimun for self defense IMHO. One of the ammo manufacturers ought to come out with some.

By the way the Magnaporting on the 629 aides in rapid DA firing. I've held my hand 6" above the ports while firing with only a slight sensation, no harm to my hand. Neither did I loose my night vision in a test I did some time back firing the Cor Bon out of it in the dark.

Hope folks can enjoy this little report.

tipoc

Ralph2

Good report. I have tried several of the Houge grips on different guns and found them too long and large. No amount of tweaking could get them to my liking. Did not find any of the grooveless ones however.

I just dusted off my Taurus 431 and went to the gun show to get some grips for it. I have had the slim stock grips for a large frame round butt gun that it came with somewhere but the gun was too large for the tiny purchase the grips afforded. The first set I found were Pachmyr's presentation grips wiht the rubber insert. Too long front to back in my hands. I did find a set of bird's head finger grooved grips in rosewood this weekend. To date the finger grooves and the thumb rest on the finger side for me have been sanded away. It looks more like an elongated version of the Single Action Bird's head grip. Once I get it to my liking I will post a picture. The grip is a little large but then so is the 431.

What got me started back on 44 spl was a recent purchase of a Charter Arms Bulldog Pug. The rubber grips did not meet up good so I found some wood grips of the large style for the CA. Gun is very accurate but the wood grip makes it slip and slide around in my hand. Recoil is not bad or painful but the thing twists around. Of course that was a box of Cor Bon so it was a little on the hot side

Savage10FP308

A gun lover in Canada!

There is hope after all. I hope someday you can enjoy fine guns like the ones you just looked at in your country. Till then have a hell of a time shooting what you can!

Stargazer

As far as shooting to the left: I used to do this as well and when I went through my CHL class I found they had a target that showed what a person was doing if all of their shots ended up in a certain spot on a target. The target showed and told that I was gripping the weapon wrong and or using too much trigger finger to pull the trigger. It turned out to be a combination of both of these. Instead of putting your left hand "over" your right one that is holding the weapon, slide that left palm lower and up against the grip. If you grip it with your left hand "over" your right one you leave the left side of the grip exposed which allows the weapon to "twist" that direction when you shoot. Grip the weapon with your right thumb "over" the left one and get that left palm up against the grip. Also try using more of the "tip" of your finger to pull the trigger, not a full section of your trigger finger. I tried these and my shots centered back up and others have commented too that it has helped them.

A championship shooter gave a 3 minute video on proper hold and that was posted on another forum and it has seemed to help a bunch of folks, including myself. Just some suggestions, no flames intended.:)

tipoc

Stargazer, your comments are helpful. I'll try some of that.

From the pics you can see that now and again I get it just right. Like I said I struggle against anticipating the shot and pushing forward on the gun just before it touches off. Occasionally I'll stick a spent cartridge in the wheel amoung the live ones and catch myself doing it. There's a mental spot I can find from time to time where I don't do it at all.

tipoc

330494.jpg

Yukonart

Excellent information, Tipoc!

This is very helpful for me . . . I'll be keeping a pulse on this thread (and others like it) before I go to buy an Alaskan .44 sometime next spring. On a more immediate note, my father's giving me his Ruger Redhawk .44 since he just doesn't like "how much pistol" it is for him. . . he's 73 and doesn't quite have the hand strength he used to for pistol shooting. As you might imagine, I'm not going to complain a bit. :D

bottomscratcher

I was doing the same thing last weeked with a 624 3". Have not been able to get my hands on the Corbon but will try a little harder now, nice grouping.
I was using Speer Golddot 200gr. and some handloads. The handloads worked good but really want to find a good factory load for legal reasons.

Thanks for the write-up and pics.

Bart Noir

tipoc, that M-ported gun must redefine "fireball" when you shoot a magnum. I mean, the ejector rod is farther forward than the barrel slots! And that contour on the muzzle is the first I've ever seen like that. Is it actually as "dished in" as the photo shows?

I just got me one of those short 624s and I find the balance is just right. The 3 inch 625 and 610 seem heavier and more topheavy but the tapered barrel on the 624 makes it feel like it just belongs in my hand. Can you tell I like it? Mine is a polished SS. Does that mean it was not a Lew Horton?

Bart Noir

tipoc

On the Lew Horton 624s. In 1985 Lew Horton ordered a special engraved run of the 624 with a tapered 3" barrel. They ordered 100 of these "Limited Edition Model 624 Combat 1st 100" guns and followed it up with an order for 5,000 more non engraved ones. They also ordered a rounded butt which was rare for S&W N frames at the time. But sales were slower than they expected so they told S&W to release the guns for sale by other distributors. Most of these guns are 624 no dashes in the ALU-ALW serial range, but not all. Most are 624s but some are 624-2s and 624-4s and were made from 1985 -87 or so. Finishes varied some.

Mine was bead blasted after market along with the hammer being narrowed and reshaped, hammer and trigger chromed, front of the cylinder chamfered and you can note the cylinder latch and most sharp edges broken. The action was slicked up as well. And yeah, Bart, it balances very well. The smaller and lighter cylinder for the .44 Spl., along with the tapered barrel also reduces the weight. An easy packing gun.

624 on the right.

330498.jpg

The 629 is a standard Magnaport semi-custom job as featured on their website. This gun started life as a square butt and was converted. The barrel was cut back from a 4". I've been thinking of sending it back to them and haveing another inch of barrel added. The chamfering of the muzzle is deep and protects the rifling from being damaged under most any circumstances.

Magnaport does excellent work and can do a gun for you with or without the porting. And yeah with a 260 gr. slug at 1200+ fps it does kick. In daylight you don't notice the blast, at night yeah. As backup in bear country though, it's handy and the porting does help in rapid da shooting as does the heavier barrel with heavier loads.

Note the ball detent lock up. I'm not sure of the life of this under many hundreds of rounds of Magnum ammo. But it has not been a problem so far with a couple of hundred under it's belt. With .44 Spl. it is sweet.

376965.jpg

376968.jpg

tipoc

DeltaWhiskey

Perhaps you should consider one of the excellent grips by Kim Ahrends for your revolvers. Almost all of my Smiths wear them, and I am very pleased with the results.

bottomscratcher

tipoc,

My 624 3" has an ALU serial # and a "C" on the box, (factory cylinder check). Is it a Lew Horton Gun or just a one of the Lew Horton special order that went to another distributor?

Thanks

Gary

skeeter1

tipoc--

Thanks for sharing that with us. That's a pretty impressive pair of revolvers you have there. I'm drooling over that 624 -- I've never seen one before. :)

tipoc

Bottom,
You can call Lew Horton and ask them. Tell them the serial number and they can tell you if it was sold through them. You can also contact S&W and for $30. get a letter from Roy Jinks on the gun. Over to the S&W forum all the guns made to Horton's specs (tapered 3" barrel, red ramp Baughman front sight, w/o rear, round butt) are referred to as Lew Horton's whether they were sold by Horton or not. Now if it is one of the engraved ones it's definately a Horton. If you had the original box and paperwork from Horton it would likely bring a premium if you sold it. But otherwise, like I said, S&W folks consider them a "Horton" gun cuz they were made to their specs.

tipoc