.44 special vs. .357 magnum

sterno

I'm looking at buying a snubnosed revolver to add to my CCW collection. I'm trying to decide if I should get a .44spl or a .357mag. Here's my question/criteria:

1 - I already have, shoot, and reload for the .357. Reloading won't be an issue because I won't carry with reloads but for practice it'd come in handy. However, my Stepdad reloads for the .44Mag and I could use his equipment (but really I'd buy my own).

2 - How much recoil is involved with a .44spl?

3 - How much wider is a .44spl cylinder than a .357mag?

Any advice/insight?

.44 Spl., even in the hottest loadings, has very moderate recoil. It's simply not a high-pressure cartridge.

I've no clue about the cylinder widths, but if you measure a .44 Mag., you'll get a good idea.

cochise

I love, carry and shoot a .44 special. Moderate recoil, big bullets, bigger leaks in the target. Premium guns are hard or impossible to find. When you do, they cost double what a .357 does.

My advice, get a .357 mag. Ammo is easier to find, and .38 + P is pretty good to start with.

357 Plato

As for question 3:

S&W N frame will hold up to 8 rounds of .38/357 or 6 rounds of .44.

Freedom Arms M 97 will hold either 6 rounds of 357 or 5 rounds of 44s

Same cylinder diameter but a different number of rounds.

Hope it helps

bottomscratcher

I had to give up .357, my wrist and elbow cannot take the high presure anymore, very happy with a 624 3" Corbon makes a DPX load in .44spl and Speer Golddot has a nice one. Plenty of cast lead loads for target work available. The N frame is a big gun, some 696 L frames are out there but you have to look for them.

Archie

I prefer the .44 Special...

I like bigger bullets.

I have both. The .357 Magnum is no slouch, and nothing to be disregarded. (I find the idea of .38 Special +P in a .357 Magnum as a waste of time. Carry .38 Special in a .38 Special revolver.)

In my mind, the .44 Special throws a heavier, wider bullet with enough velocity to accomplish most goals. And, the .44 Special is gentler in recoil and report; generally easier to control.

dispatcher

Of the two, I strongly prefer the 44. It is NOT without recoil, but handles alot better than the .357 in a snubbie. I belive the choice is really between a .38 and a .44. You will, however, have a hard time finding a good .44 snubbie these days. I have, and recommend, the Charter Arms Bulldogs built in Startford, CN about 25 years ago. Otherwise, go with a Smith J Frame or similar.

swampdog

You can carry a S&W j-frame .357 in your front pants pocket. I don't know of any .44 special snubs that are that small. Possibly a CA bulldog, but I haven't owned one.
I shoot .44 specials in my magnums occasionally. In these big revolvers they're ***** cats. I've heard the recoil in a bulldog is pretty stout. I know the recoil in a j-frame .357 is stout.
I'd base my choice on how I planned to carry it. If you intend to carry IWB/OWB, either would do. If you want a small, "pocket" revolver, you are pretty much stuck with a j-frame.
I have a S&W 640 and a model 10 2". I'd like to have a .44 special snub, but I really can't justify it. There is a certain "cool" factor to a large bore snub. 200gr goldots are very impressive looking, peeking out of a cylinder.

jrklaus

This may be a bit of a cop-out, but try them both and see which one you like best. I think you'll be satisfied with either one of them. Good luck! :)