44 special question

jrklaus

The .44 Special is a little bit longer than the .44 Russian. The .44 Russian was introduced in the 1870s as a slightly more powerful version of the .44 American for Smith & Wesson's Russian-contract single-action breakdown revolver. The .44 Special was introduced later possibly as an evolution of the .44 Russian. (I can't put my hands on that citation at the moment, but I'm pretty certain I read it somwhere.) The information above on the .44 Russian comes from Philip B. Sharpe's Complete Guide to Handloading 3d Edition.

As for shooting a .44 Russian in a .44 Special/.44 Magnum revolver, I believe it should be okay, as they use the same diameter bullet, but I would prefer that someone else confirm that to you as well.

orionengnr

Okay, I have searched and come up dry. What is the difference between 44 Russian and 44 Special? If I had a revolver champered in one can I fire either? If I had a revolver chambered in 44 mag, I know it will fire 44 special, how about 44 Russian? Is there any 44 Russian ammo out there (is this even wort discussing)?

JRLaws

Yes, you can fire a Russian in a special or magnum.

Here is a bit of history and loading info. for you.

http://www.sixguns.com/tests/tt44russ.htm

I guess the Russian load would be kind of neat/fun, but I have a hard enough time finding and affording good .44 special ammo.

Good to know it would work though.

JRLaws.

The .44 Russian case is slightly shorter than the .44 Special, which is slightly shorter than the .44 Magnum.

The .44 Russian will chamber and fire in guns chambered for the Special or the Magnum, but not the other way roun.d