44 Special - need help!

bk40

I've got a S&W 696 on order. Its built on the L frame and has a 3" barrel.

I don't have a problem with heavier recoiling loads...but, my previously broken wrist does.

I'm looking for a accurate, medium load using lead swc bullets in the 200gr to 240gr range. Usage will be for target/practice and home defense. I need a powder that will meter accurately in my Dillon 550.

TIA.

Mal H

Staff
With all those criteria, I can tell you what I have found to be very comfortable:

240 gr SWC and 4.5 gr of Accurate #2
200 gr RNFP and 5.5 gr of AA #2

I use OTB's Laser-Cast lead bullets, but this should be fine with any lead bullet of the same weights.

AA #2, like almost all AA handgun powders is tops in metering.

bk40

Thanks for the info Mal. Any idea of what velocities I can expect with your loads out of a 3" barrel?

Reloader

You might also consider Winchester 231 and the Lyman Cowboy 205 gr. cast bullet (it's for the 44/40, but works well for practice sized to .430) 6.0 grains of 231 is a mild accurate load, as well as 4.5 grains of Hodgdon's Titegroup. Velocity should be around 700, haven't had access to a Chronograph.

Mal H

Staff
bk40 - I haven't chronoed the loads I mentioned, so these are only edicated guesses:

240 gr. - 740 fps
200 gr. - 800 fps

BTW, these loads are not for home defense. Stick with some good factory loads for that purpose unless you're defending your home from rabbits and squirrels. If the time comes when you really need to defend your life, your healing wrist will be the least of your worries.

[This message has been edited by Mal H (edited February 21, 2000).]

bk40

Ricciardelli, I have tried shooting left handed - results vary from terrible to just downright awful! :D Its not really that bad, but shooting LH with revolvers is much harder for me than semi-autos.

Reloader, good info on 231 and 205gr bullet. Talked to one of the techs at Sierra y'day and he recommended 6.0grs of W231 with a 200gr RNFP bullet. Looks like I've found a great starting point.

Thanks for the input everyone!

dundee

A bowling pin load that I used to use was a 240 lead swc over 5.5 gr of 231. This is in a 44 special case. I don't know the velocity but it took bowling pins off the table better than 45 hardball. The recoil was mild but in you case I would probably drop to 4.5 to 5.0 gr. of 231 or go to tightgroup powder for better reduced loads.

Unkel Gilbey

If you could approximate the 247 gn factory load that I think that Winchester markets, you would go a long way toward a really good gallery round. I've shot this load in three seperate .44 Mags, and it was capable of delivering ragged one hole groups @ 25 yds all day long. I have yet to duplicate this load, but if anyone else has, I would really appreciate them sharing with the forum.

As I said before, we could (and did) shoot this load for hours, and it was a pleasant time, especially when we would regularly ding the hell out of what ever we pointed at!

Good Luck!

Unkel Gilbey

Coinneach

Staff Alumnus
I don't use lead for my Taurus 431, so I can't help ya there.

My plinking load is Sierra 200gr JSPs over 6gr Bullseye. Accurate, not painful or punishing at all (even with the original wood grips), and wreaks havoc on innocent fruit and eggs. :)

------------------
"If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance."
-- Samuel Johnson

bk40

I appreciate all the data and advice everyone! I received my Bull-X order today so I'm set to start loading. Thanks again- BK

Cougar

Bk40,

My brother-in-law has a 3" SW629 'Mountain gun' that he keeps loaded with CCI Blazer .44 Spl 200gr JHPs. This bullet is the 'Flying Ashtray' round for the .44. I don't see how you could go wrong with these for home defense. They feel like .38 wadcutters in his 'lightweight' big gun. (BTW, he's had the gun since before the current crop of 5-shot .44Spls became commonplace)

As a caveat, I would NOT recommend ANY handload for home defense. The bottomfeeders :eek: would have a field day with your 'especially lethal homemade ammunition.'

------------------
Remember, just because you are not paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you!