.44 Special Conversion: a hypothetical question here

Trum4n1208

Howdy,

I've been thinking about a 1875 Remington clone in .44 special, to compliment my .45 Colt Remmie. I figured there'd be two ways to get it, either A. Buy a gun in .44-40, a .357 magnum cylinder to be reamed out, and then swap the cylinder out, or B. Buy a gun in .357 Magnum and ream the barrel and cylinder. I figure the former might be just a bit cheaper, but understand there might be headspacing issues.

This is purely hypothetical for now, as with a wedding and honeymoon coming up, the money just isn't there,but I figured I'd ask, if only to sate curiosity.

Thanks!

DD4lifeusmc

44 conversion

ooops on my part. I got discombobulated here.

But a 1873 - 1875 was still a Black powder gun.
Why make it or try to make it into a modern one?

Trum4n1208

Well, it's a modern reproduction of the 1875 Remington, so technically, it is a modern gun, just a 19th century design. So it's perfectly capable of firing modern ammo and isn't stuck with BP loads, if thats what you meant.

As for the .44 special, It's the round I want to get into reloading next, again, once I have the money. As for why I want to re-chamber a gun into .44 special, honestly, I just want something a little different, something I'm sure a lot of folks on here understand.

Jim Watson

There are no "headspacing issues" with .44 conversions. At least my Colt .44 Special with .44-40 cylinder does OK.

A Uberti "Remington" .357 cylinder is $125 from VTI. Probably be about that much more to have it rechambered to .44 Special. Might even fit up but if not, add something for that. So a $250-$300 project on your gun.

Trum4n1208

Jim Watson, thanks for the reply, sorry I didn't have access to a computer for a while. Appreciate the answer, I'll have to file this one away for a future project then. Take Care!