44 Special Cases starline

gunnny12

Hi all;

Hope I did good, ordered 100 Starline 44 special cases from Brownell.
I hear good cases.
Will be made up for the Redhawk 7.5 inch barrel I saw a great load of IMR-4227 powder like 11.5 grs., over a Hornady 200 gr JHP.:D

Jeff

Doyle

Since you have a Redhawk, next time order .44 mag cases and just load them to .44 Special levels. That will save you from having to deal with the .44 Special crud ring in your cylinders.

g.willikers

If you still want to use the shorter Special cases, Harbor Freight has a very nice and inexpensive little circular cut saw for cutting down .44 mag cases.
And anything else, too.
But just using the Mag cases with Special equivalent loads is easier.

Nick_C_S

Last week, I received my 500 pcs of Starline 44 Special cases ;) Purchased from MidwayUSA.

I've chamfer/deburred and flaired them all (whew!!) - so they're ready to go. I have yet to load any. BUT - I have a ton of Starline brass in other chamberings: 38 Special (3000 pcs), 357 Mag (1000 pcs), 10mm Auto (1000 pcs); and they all have been performing admirably.

Starline is good stuff.

As for cutting down 44 Mag cases: I am not a fan of the practice. The thought of having 44 Special length cases with a "44 Mag" headstamp on them just doesn't sit well with me. To me it's a safety issue. I know it's not likely to mistake a 44 Special length case for 44 Magnum - and then load as 44 Magnum - but it's possible. It's a layer of safety I'd rather not shed off. Just my opinion.

g.willikers

Your concern about cutting down Mag cases is valid.
It was just a suggestion when there are no other choices.
And that little cut saw is a lot of fun to play with.
But watch your fingers.
It's possible to get more than just a manicure.

gunnny12

Good replies, and yep I do have 44 mag cases also , about 100 or more, but wanted the others to be different.
And the load is 14.8 I think.
Will check before I load of cause.

Jeff

Nick_C_S

So as they come all sized and ready to load correct then?

Nope.

As with everything on TFL, you're going to get differing opinions.

At the very least, they're not flaired. So you'll need to do that, without doubt.

Some resize new brass. I don't; and have never had a problem. Of course, I finish the loading process with a Lee Factory Crimp Die; so any case anomalies will be ironed out at that time. If I didn't use Lee FCD's for every caliber I load (handgun only), I would probably resize semi-auto cartridges; but not likely the revolvers.

Then there's chamferring and de-burring: Some do neither. Some do both. And some only chamfer. I used to do both. Now, sometimes I do both; and sometimes I only chamfer (usually, I only chamfer nickel cases).

Some also measure the length; and/or trim. I skip this step. They're usually the correct length. Once, I had a piece of new Winchester 44 Special brass that was .020 too short. I didn't notice until I loaded it. I marked it, shot it, and tossed it afterward (it was only under-crimped, basically).

gunnny12

Okay will do that then.
Don't have a crimp die ,just the one in the Lee 3 die set, and a taper crimp die.

But from I see the bullet seating die crimps also.

Thanks

Jeff

g.willikers

So as they come all sized and ready to load correct then?
Trust no one.
Check them yourself, always.

But your question got me to think - I've never used new brass, in all the years I've been reloading.
My brass has always been newly fired range pickup.
And I do thank those folks who leave all that excellent brass behind.

WIL TERRY

I never understand ordering cartridge cases in lots of less than 1M [one thousand..] and I want to have 5M per caliber...I only load 135 calibers so it ain't NO big deal.
And so it goes...

Nick_C_S

But from what I see the bullet seating die crimps also.

Yes, the seat die is also a crimp die. You can seat and crimp in a single press stroke; or you can do it in two separate strokes. The general consensus is that it is better to do as separate operations. But there are applications where a single operation is acceptable.

Your 44 Special three die set's seating/crimping die applies a roll crimp, btw.

gunnny12

Good answers, and I checked about 20 cases so far.

Found two at the same length, so far the rest coming at 1.146 to 1.148.

Two at 1.150 , so far will try to get 18 at that length for the start.

Yes got that roll crimp deal.

Jeff

sawdustdad

Wil Terry: I never understand ordering cartridge cases in lots of less than 1M [one thousand..] and I want to have 5M per caliber...I only load 135 calibers so it ain't NO big deal.
And so it goes...

Like minds...except the number of different calibers :eek:

I'm with Wil and Sawdustdad. I have at least 2,000 of everything that has still to be loaded and fired, except for one lot of just 1,000 .30-06 1968 pull-downs, because that was all I had the money for at the time. I have bought just 500 piece lots to evaluate a headstamp, though.

I once weighed about 50 Starline .45 Auto cases, along with IMI Match, Winchester, Top Brass, Federal, and WCC. Of these, Starline and Top Brass had half the weight variance of the others. Starline seemed to have the same long life expectancy of Winchester, which was very good brass at that time (I'm talking about 20 years back and before the outsourcing got so pronounced; I can't speak for it today). I have used Starline exclusively for pistol chamberings for some time, though if Top Brass ever got back into the business, I would use their new brass, too. I still have a lot of their .44 Magnum that has lasted very well.

gunnny12

Want 5000 per caliber and load for 135 caliber's good God that is a bunch of brass.
Thought me having tops 200 for each was way to much. LOL

Good job there.;)

The Starline is coming most at 1.146.

Jeff