.44 Russian Load Data - 240 Gr JHP?

RoyceP

I have a reproduction Cimarron Arms Model 1872 open top revolver in .44 Special. My indoor range requires the use of jacketed ammo only, no cast lead bullets allowed.

With a box of reduced velocity .44 Special JHP ammo it shoots about 4" low POA. So I want to load them slower than that.

I am thinking that using a smaller .44 Russian case with the same Hornady bullets at say 700 FPS might get me closer to center of the target. Maybe Unique powder? Anyone got experience with this?

Attachments

• 1872 open top 44 spl target.jpg
    1872 open top 44 spl target.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 41
See if your range won't let you use heavily plated bullets. They work with lead bullet load data.

As you slow bullet velocity, the recoil impulse raising the muzzle before the bullet gets out slows down, too, and vice versa. As a result, in general, revolver POI doesn't tend to change a lot with the load, and, in fact tends to go up with powder charge, not the other way around. Increasing the bullet weight will raise POI much more than adjusting powder charge does.

RoyceP

Yes they would allow plated bullets too. The ammo that I shot with is 240G JHP so a 240 grain plated bullet is going to be about the same.

T. O'Heir

"...is 240G JHP so a 240 grain plated bullet..." If that means is a JHP the same as a plated bullet, the answer is no. Neither is the data. Just use the plated bullet with cast bullet data and you'll be fine. You really do not need the shorter case.
Trail Boss in the Special gives Max loads that run about 763 FPS. Unique Max loads run 820 FPS with a cast bullet out of a 5.5" barrel.
And you want more speed to raise the POI.

Old_School

I have a reproduction Cimarron Arms Model 1872 open top revolver in .44 Special. My indoor range requires the use of jacketed ammo only, no cast lead bullets allowed.

With a box of reduced velocity .44 Special JHP ammo it shoots about 4" low POA. So I want to load them slower than that.

I am thinking that using a smaller .44 Russian case with the same Hornady bullets at say 700 FPS might get me closer to center of the target. Maybe Unique powder? Anyone got experience with this?
Want to be careful when downloading jacketed bullets, as they can shed their jackets in the barrel, leading to a bore obstruction.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

RoyceP,

It belatedly occurs to me you may be thinking the frame of the open top is being deflected down by the strength of your loads, and without testing, I can't say. What I said applies to a closed frame revolver, but that might not apply in your case. I can't say because I don't know the range you were shooting at to see if the amount of deflection would be reasonable or not.

I suggest you simply load your 44 Special cases down, as using the same load in the 44 Russian case is going to increase peak pressure that may make any deflection worse. Using the bigger case will hold peak pressure down. I used to shoot a lot of lead (plated would be a fine substitute) 240-grain bullets over 3.9 grains of Bullseye from a 3" Charter Bulldog that shot just fine.

Since I don't see any heavier .430 bullets than 240 grains, I think the chances are that if the super light loads aren't good, it will be much easier to draw file the front sight down, following its top edge contour to achieve proper timing with the bullet weight. Then finish it with a little cold blue followed by squirting with Formula 409 to penetrate the finish and neutralize the acids, followed by thorough rinsing with boiling distilled water and then spraying with a water-displacing protective lube like LPS2 or BC Barricade to ensure rust blooming can't occur later.

If you haven't made the calculation before, the amount by which the front sight needs to come down is:

Tr = Target Range as measured from cylinder face
Sr = Sight Radius (distance from front to rear sight
Ic = Impact Correction needed
Fd = File Down amount needed

Fd = (-Ic × Sr) / Tr

Not the units of length have to be the same. That is, if you measure Sr in inches, then you need to use the range in inches (12 × distance in feet or 36 × distance in yards), then the amount to file down (Fd) will also be in inches.

Example:

Range is 50 feet

Sr is 6 inches

Ic is 4 inches, then

Fd = (-4 in × 6 in) / (50ft × 12 in/ft) = -24 in² / 600 in = -0.040 in front sight height reduction needed.

Marco Califo

Berrys Bullets says YOU CAN USE JACKETED BULLET DATA. just stay under max velocity for your plated bullets.
"Load data from any load manual or website can be used. Full-metal jacketed, lead bullet, or plated bullet load data can be used as long as the following standards are adhered to:

The data contains the correct grain weight of bullet.
Berry's max recommended velocity is not exceeded. (This info is displayed on bullet boxes and product webpages.)
Standard Plate Bullets Max Velocity: 1,250 fps.
Thick-Plate Bullets (TP) Max Velocity: 1,500 fps."
OH was wrong yesterday and is still wrong today, posting old bad info like he loves to do.
https://www.berrysmfg.com/faq

Marco Califo said:
Berrys Bullets says YOU CAN USE JACKETED BULLET DATA. just stay under max velocity for your plated bullets.
"Load data from any load manual or website can be used. Full-metal jacketed, lead bullet, or plated bullet load data can be used as long as the following standards are adhered to:
I don't dispute what Berry's web site says but I don't think we should rely on it, because it makes no sense whatsoever. Load data are specific to the actual bullet used (not just the weight), the actual case used (not just the caliber/chambering), and the actual primer used (brand, and magnum or not magnum) ... in addition to the powder type and charge. I've been loading Berry's plated bullets for probably ten years, maybe more. I have loaded and shot tens of thousands of them, mostly in .45 ACP. I have seen their suggestions regarding what load data to follow change over the years. At one time it was "lead bullet data." At another time it was "jacketed bullet data." Now it's "any bullet of the same weight."

WRONG! Over at the M1911.org forum, one of the members who is a bullseye shooter and avid reloader started a database of bullet specifications. This was precisely because of vendors like Berry's, who sell bullets but don't provide load data. The idea was to see what bullets most (or least) closely match up with other bullets.

https://forum.m1911.org/showthread.php?77249-Collecting-Dimensions-Bullet-Data

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...uItM0glf7wjhd8/edit?hl=en&hl=en#gid=519572970

My own early experience with Berry's 230-grain plated, round-nose is a good example. I had settled on Winchester 231 for powder by the highly scientific expedient of buying what my local shop had on his shelf that day. Same thing for primers: Winchester large pistol. Knowing that I was going to start reloading, I had been saving my brass for quite some time, and I was shooting almost exclusively Winchester "white box." So I was into Winchester for everything other than the bullets.

So I looked up .45 ACP on the Winchester/Hodgdon web site, and I plugged in 230 grain for the bullet weight and Winchester 231 for the powder. They only show two loads, one for a lead round nose and the other for a full metal jacket flat point bullet. At the time, Berry's catalog was advising us to use mid-range data for lead bullets, so that's what I went with. The Hodgdon site (and the Winchester printed reloading data book) told me that the starting load should be 4.3 grains, which was supposed to generate 699 fps. The max load was 5.3 grains, which was supposed to generate 834 fps -- so the max load was pretty close to the military spec for .45 ACP.

I split the difference and started at (IIRC) 4.8 grains and 5.0 grains. I expected velocities in the mid-700s. 4.8 grains actually produced 65x fps, and 5.0 grains was just bumping into 700 fps.

I use Lee's Autodisk powder measure, so I don't get to tune my loads to the nearest tenth of a grain. I used a more accurate, drum-type measure for the sample loads, but for production I use the Autodisk. The next larger aperture happens to drop 5.4 grains in Winchester 231. By the book, that's above the max load. I tried it anyway, and it produced about 760 fps with zero signs of overpressure. By the book, I was OVER the maximum load, but the velocity I got was 9 percent less than the predicted velocity for the max load.

Why? That M1911.org database holds the answer. Among 230-grain bullets (jacketed and plated), Berry's is about the shortest bullet in the bunch. So, setting the C.O.L. based on other [longer] bullets means there's more volume left in the case under the Berry's bullets, thus lower pressure and lower velocity.

Will you blow up a gun following Berry's guidance? Probably not. But don't expect the resulting velocities to match the published data you cribbed from a different bullet and case combination.

44 AMP

Staff

Have you shot standard velocity .44 Special?

Generally speaking, fixed sight revolvers are zeroed for one bullet weight at one speed and one distance. Traditionally the distance is 25yards. A ,44 Special should be set for a 245gr slug at approx. 700fps (5.5" barrel).

Revolvers are somewhat unique due to the height of the bore above the grip, so the barrel rises in recoil as the bullet moves down it. Changing the amount of TIME the bullet spends in the barrel changes the point of impact. Changing the amount of recoil energy changes the amount of barrel rise as well.

So, I would think that slowing down the standard weight bullet won't raise the point of impact.

you've got an open top revolver with fairly tiny rather crude sights, which is, of course, period correct but not that easy to shoot well, compared to other guns. Try some standard speed 240ish slugs, plated if your range requires it, and with a load that does about 700fps and see where it hits. And if possible, have someone else shoot it, too, and see what they get for results, BEFORE you go filing on the sights.

Ammo is easy to change, filing on the sights is a more permanent thing, and while a lot of people recommend it, I think it should be a last resort.

Good luck, let us know what happens.

gwpercle

44 Russian Load Data
240 grain. Lyman #429667 RF (use Berry's plated 240 gr. bullet)
Unique Powder
Start . 4.1 grs. @ 638 fps
Max. load 4.6 grs. 728
Loaded in 44 Russian cases

Loaded in 44 special brass , this bullet and 5.0 grains of Unique should be right at 700 fps .

Start low and work up untill you find the sweet spot.

Data was found in Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #4 , 44 Russian and 44 Special .
Gary

RoyceP

Thanks for all the comments. I plan to use the JHP bullets and Russian cases because I already have several hundred of them. I do have a box of 44 Special standard velocity ammo but it has lead round nose bullets that are VERBOTEN at my range. I don't plan to alter the sights. I would simply be happy with the lower point of impact before I would do that.

I currently have Unique, Bullseye, 2400 and lots of each one. 2400 seems inappropriate for lower velocity.

Maybe 4.1 grains of Unique with the Russian cases and the JHP? All my large pistol primers are standard velocity Winchester.

I do have a limited number of 44 Special cases that I could clean and reload. Probably about 25 right now.

I don't think the open top frame is being deflected by the light 44 Special factory loads tried so far. It seems very sturdy. The gun is great fun to shoot. The tiny sight channel makes it more challenging.

RoyceP

Today I went to the local gun show and found some PMC 44 Special factory ammo with 180 Grain JHP. The load is listed at 980 FPS - is this going to raise the POI? The 240 grain factory ammo that I was using previously is listed at 800 FPS and it shot about 4" low.

No, that will lower POI. You need to increase bullet weight to raise POI at pistol ranges. The heavier bullets take longer to get out of the barrel, giving recoil more time to raise the muzzle. That's what raises POI.

RoyceP

OK I ordered some 300 grain JHP Hornady pistol bullets that are advertised to Not come apart at lower velocities.

44 AMP

Staff
PMC 44 Special factory ammo with 180 Grain JHP. The load is listed at 980 FPS

The 240 grain factory ammo that I was using previously is listed at 800 FPS..

A 240gr @ 800fps is on the warm side of .44 Special where the usual factory speed is about 700fps with that bullet weight. This would print a bit lower than the slower factory ammo, but I don't know about 4" that seems a lot. I don't see where you give the range you are shooting at.

A load pushing 1000fps, even a 180gr is not something I would put through anything but a solid frame revolver. I doubt it will result in any kind of immediate failure, but I think that level load would be over stressing an open top or even a top break revolver. Good Luck with that.

Nonetheless, the 180-grain load will have about 38% higher average pressure. The average pressure is proportional to the muzzle energy, assuming the muzzle velocities were tested in the same 4" SAAMI type pressure and velocity barrel. Note that average pressure here means the average of all the pressure levels experienced by the bullet at each location in the gun as it moved from the case and down the length of the barrel. It does not mean the average peak pressure experienced. That number will be higher.

44 AMP

Staff
Whether you own an older revolver not rated for magnum loads or simply want to get more practical use out of your .44 Magnum wheel-gun, you'll find that this box of .44 Special from PMC will meet your needs for personal defense with steady recoil.

This is advertising copy, from people wanting to sell the ammo, and I would not take it as gospel, or as an unbiased independent opinion.

Also, note that "older revolver not rated for magnum loads" may NOT include your open top replica. The design is simply not as strong as a top break and no where near the strength of a solid frame revolver, some of which are not suitable for top end loads even in ,44 Special,

Open top revolvers are not quite the same as solid frame revolvers and should not be treated the same way when it comes to how much they will take.

Mike Beliveau, who posts on Youtube and on this site as Duelist1954, commented once that his first black powder revolver was one of the brass-framed clones of a Colt Navy. He only shot it with black powder, no excessive loads, and he said within a couple of years the frame had stretched by [some truly outrageous dimension].

Certainly, steel is going to hold up better than brass, but the open top design is not a particularly robust design.

RoyceP

My local reloading supply had some 240 grain copper plated SWC bullets in stock so I got a bag of 100 to experiment with. I've loaded ten cartridges using Winchester standard primers, Starline 44 Special brass and the starting load for Bullseye. We will see how well the first ten shoot and go from there.