44 Rem. Mag.

Firepower!

I want to discuss the capability of 44 magnum out of Ruger SRH 7.5'' barrel.

What is the maximum size game it can put down between 15-25 yards?

Dirty Bill

That really depends on the shooter,the load,the bullet,etc. Kind of a hard question to answer. At least up to black bear,with the right load,and well placed shot at 50 and under yards. JMO..:)

noyes

between 15-25 yards?

I wouldn't let any dangerous game get that close bear, lion, boar, etc.

tyrajam

Any North American game would be within the capabilities of the 44mag. I load a 240gr XTP over a max load of Lil'gun in my 44 carbine, and out of my 18 inch barrel I chrono it at almost 2000fps. I shot a small buck with it this year at 75 yards and it expanded, penetrated through, and left a perfect exit hole. With a hard cast or bonded bullet, I would not hesitate to shoot game up to elk-at short range of course.

Scorch

What is the maximum size game it can put down between 15-25 yards?
from what range can it bring down Ibex with 230 gr JHP? SRH 7.5''
OK, so the real question is "will a 44 Mag with 230 gr JHP kill an Ibex at 25 yds?". Right? Yes, a 44 Mag will easily kill an ibex at 25 yds when the shot is placed properly. Question is, can you get within 25 yds/meters of an ibex for a standing shot?

Daryl

very difficult to get in that range. Thats why i asked whats the maximum distance to get a kill shot on ibex.

123.965 yards...

If you have a tail wind, and can hit the right spot. ;).

:D

Daryl

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
15 to 25 yards? Aside from the big bears, most anything you want.

If a proper hit is within the shooter's capability, it oughta work on deer-sized critters on out to 125 or 150 yards.

Firepower!

So as I understand it, shot to an IBEX under 100 yards would be leathel, if placed right. I can use rest with scope to just hit the target.

Daryl

It sounds like you have much to learn, grasshopper.

You'll need to use a good, heavy bullet that's loaded fairly heavy for longer shots on large game animals. Hard cast would be my first choice, and a good heavy JSP (240 grains or heavier) would be second.

In a nutshell, yes, a .44 mag will kill an ibex at 100 yards if the right bullet is placed right. That right bullet in the right place is up to you and your own capabilities and limitations.

Daryl

jhgreasemonkey

Elmer Keith killed african elephant with his .44 mag. I however have a difficult enough time getting a truly good group at 25 yards with mine to even think about using it for any dangerous game :D
Do a search on elmer keith and randy garret and you will find some awesome info on how far hunters have gone with the .44 magnum

phil mcwilliam

I've shot plenty of pigs & feral goats with my S&W 629 44 Magnum with a 8 inch barrel. My shooting ability(with open sights) was the main influence in what distance the revolver was effective at. I have shot several large pigs & goats at 120 to 150 yards with one shot kills & don't doubt that there would be enough steam left at 200 yards to drop this sized game with a 44 magnum -if hit correctly. Realistically, I was only ever confident of proper bullet placement in shots under 50 yards. I mainly used Winchester 240 grain hollow points for hunting & found them to be effective.

phil mcwilliam

I've shot plenty of pigs & feral goats with my S&W 629 44 Magnum with a 8 inch barrel. My shooting ability(with open sights) was the main influence in what distance the revolver was effective at. I have shot several large pigs & goats at 120 to 150 yards with one shot kills & don't doubt that there would be enough steam left at 200 yards to drop this sized game with a 44 magnum -if hit correctly. Realistically, I was only ever confident of proper bullet placement in shots under 50 yards. I mainly used Winchester 240 grain hollow points for hunting & found them to be effective.

troy_mclure

it was a 400lb young cow, it stood there a few seconds, he thought he missed till it just lay down. he got both lungs and nicked the heart.