44 Magnum Trapper w/o Ugly Safety

44caliberkid

Just FYI, I was following several 44 mag 94’s on GB, penny start, no reserve. With the safety sold for $1000 to $1100. A NIB, no safety, went for $2125. I’ll keep looking.

44caliberkid

I’ve seen various methods to plug or decorate the hole, but unless you plug, weld, grind, polish and reblue the receiver , you’re still going to see it. Not in a hurry, I’ll just wait, just interesting to know that pre-safety 94’s bring a premium.

bamaranger

Can't advise on a Trapper model, but in the mid-70's, my Dad had a M94 carbine w/ 20 inch barrel and a saddle ring. ..... no safety. Not sure what year the lawyer safety appeared.

Dad bought his .44 about 1971. I'll add it was a top eject model. He traded the .44 to obtain a rifle more easily 'scoped, as his eyes hit the point that iron sights were problematic. By the time I learned of his plans, the rifle was gone and a call to the shop yielded that the .44 had sold quickly.

stinkeypete

It’s the 2020s and these days they use glue to hold airplanes together. What’s my point?

If one is determined to remove the historically inaccurate safety button, one could have small tasteful button-head steel plugs made, blue them, and secure them in place with an industrial grade acrylic adhesive. Loc-tite sells a range from “home use” to “professional” to “industrial only”. Some of the modern glues are so strong they won’t sell them in the hardware store because misuse could be catastrophic and permanent.

Anyways, well fitting plugs, held in with red loc tite are never falling out.

It’s not the same as filling the hole with steel, welding, surface grinding, and rebluing the receiver… but let’s face it… if we were made of money just buy an old one.

For me, putting a “fake pin” in solves an aesthetic problem.

I’ve done the same trick, gluing on fake bolt heads when I screwed up a measurement in the machine shop. Grrr ??????

rodfac

I’ve seen various methods to plug or decorate the hole, but unless you plug, weld, grind, polish and re-blue the receiver , you’re still going to see it. Not in a hurry, I’ll just wait, just interesting to know that pre-safety 94’s bring a premium.
Well, I too hate the lawyer-esk safety and refitted a cpl of my Marlins with a saddle ring from Beartooth Mercantile.

https://beartoothmercantile.com/saddle-ring-safety-delete/

They look original and replace the @($&%)* safety in 5 minutes. And there's no plugging, welding, grinding, polishing or re-blueing necessary. You pull off the butt stock, remove the set screw on the "safety" and replace it with the saddle ring...or opt for the blank post instead. Here's one fitted on my Marlin 1894S .41 Magnum...Best Regards, Rod