.44 Magnum Shooters

P-990

One of my coworkers asked me an interesting question the other night. I made a comment, "I might trade my Glock 17 off for another .44 Magnum" and he said, "How much do you really shoot a .44 Magnum?" Well, he was saying it as a question, why get rid of a cheap little 9mm for an expensive, hard-kicking, big-bore Magnum revolver.

So I thought about it and came up with an answer. About once every two weeks, 50-100 rounds, whenever I make it to the range with a handgun. I've only accumulated 1100 rounds on my 629 in the year I've had it, but I spend alot of time competing in Highpower rifle matches, so it is probably my second-most used firearm this past year, behind my AR-15 with probably 3500 or so rounds. I suspect if I didn't compete with the rifle, the 629 would have seen more than 2000 rounds this year. I know people who don't fire their .22LRs that much in a year! :p

The question is, how much do other .44 Magnum shooters use up in a year? I think it might be interesting to see. My feeling is that buying a used .44 Magnum is one of the safest used purchases in the world of firearms, as they are not likely to have been fired more than 100 rounds or so by the previous owner. And if they have been, they were enjoyed to the point they are worn out. At least, that's my experience in looking at used specimens in thsi caliber.

How much lead does everybody throw downrange with their .44s?

Dwight55

Until I traded my last on off, . . . probably around 300 rounds per year for 7 or 8 years.

May God bless,
Dwight

Webleymkv

I don't have a .44. I do have a .357 that many would think is hard kicking. I don't find it uncofortably so (Neither does my mother or 14 year old little brother for that matter). I rarely ever shoot .38's in it (if I wanted to shoot .38's I'd have gotten a model 10) and usually take it anytime I go to the range. I almost always shoot at least 100 rounds.

Over the years I have had two 8", five 6.5", and one 4" M29-2s. I currently have one 6.5" gun. Since 1976 when I got my first 29 I bet I haven't fired more than 300 rounds total. The guns are beautiful and I feel like I should have one (I settled on just one) but I find the recoil of a full-power .44 more than I like for fun shooting. I admit I am a wimp so don't tell me all about your .480 or .500 or .600 or whatever. Every couple of years I go shoot half a box then put the gun away.

Ken O

I shoot the .44Mag quite a bit, its a versitile gun. I dont enjoy the recoil of full house loads, but shoot them ocasionally to keep in practice (the 629 is what is with me in the deer blind).
I load down for normal practice using 200 swc, and use it for Steel Challange matches, as long as it can chip the paint..... some have laughed saying they can see the bullet all the way to the target on the Outer Limits stage. I just bought a 625 that I will use for the matches now.
I dont know how many rounds I have though it, I shoot it a couple times a week, I have a couple pistol bays in my back yard for practice. My 1911s get the most use, I shoot it several times a week.

bill k

Most every time I go to the range I shoot my 44 mag. Usually two the three magazine rounds, 18 to 20 total. I'm not into stupid recoil either in a hand gun. I use unique powder in my mod 29 and old model super blackhawk. The recoil is in the range of a 38 special or 44 special.
I have a number of other pistols in various calibers and models but prefer these two over all my others.
When I shoot at dusk however, the only way to go is the full loads. I love to what the flame go out of the end of the barrel.;)
Bill

Bama

When I take it to the woods plinking, or to the range ( when I get the chance) I'll burn up at least 100 full power rounds. I sold my Super blackhawk, and got a Super Redhawk, which I like a lot more.

I can't see practicing with ammunition I'm not going to hunt with.

As the others, I don't see 1000 rounds a year as a lot.

Buzzard

I take my Super Blackhawk out every time I go and I put at least 50 rnds through it and I go about 3 times a month.....then again there are times I take just the .44 out and go through 100 to 150 rnds....these are not full house rounds, I load cowboy loads...240 gr LSWC over 9gr of HP-38.....very nice to shoot, there are times I like to shoot the .44 more than my Makarov

Majic

Turn the question around and ask the coworker why should you keep a limited duty handgun when you could have a more versatile handgun.

Kamicosmos

out of my Redhawk, probably around 400-500 a year. I also have a Contender barrel and a Marlin 1894 that probably get 100 or so each a year.

.44 is FUN! but you're right, it does seem that .44 mag and up guns that are in the used case are 'barely' used...

Pistolenschutze

I probably average about 300-400 full-power rounds a year in my S&W 29, which for me, is not really that many rounds. I sometimes shoot .44 Special in it if I'm feeling a little wimpy that day.:D

azredhawk44

I put about 100-150 full power rounds thru my 5.5" redhawk a year. I also end up shooting about 500 rounds of factory grade .44 magnum and another hundred or so rounds of .44 special.

I have put about 700 rounds of 9mm thru my XD9, though (I bought it 3 months ago). It is a lot cheaper to shoot while still feeling like a "real" gun (not a .22 or a BB gun) and almost invariably goes to the range with me each session for at least 50 rounds. Very rare that I substitute it for one of the .45's.

I'd say that the 9mm goes about 3/4 of the time to the range, the .44 makes it about 1/2 the time for at least 20 rounds or so, the .22 almost every time, the .45's go about 1/4 the time (I hate chasing brass but feel compelled to do so for .45) and the .357 1/4 the time.

If I only shot at the range and never hunted or hiked, I'd much rather have a 9mm than a .44 just for economic reasons.

Hal

My feeling is that buying a used .44 Magnum is one of the safest used purchases in the world of firearms, as they are not likely to have been fired more than 100 rounds or so by the previous owner. And if they have been, they were enjoyed to the point they are worn out

Yep - makes sense to me.

Oddly, at the other end of the caliber spectrum, the .22lr is the same way.
They tend to be either shot out, or shot little from my experience.

In answer to the original question, I shoot my .44's a lot. Seldom with full power loads though. Usually cast or swaged lead at just under sonic or thereabouts. 17.5 gr of Alliant 2400 under a 240 grain lead bullet using a standard large pistol primer in a magnum case.

P-990

Oh, I'm not saying 1100 rounds is alot! I'd shoot the handgun more, but like I stated earlier, I am a rifle competitor, and THAT practice takes a good chunk of my range time.

It just seems to me that alot of people don't really consider the .44 a "fun" gun. Well, I do and am glad to see others here who agree. I reload and probably 80% of what I fire is a mild .44 Magnum load of a 240gr SWC and about 9 grains of W231, target velocity between 1000 and 1100 fps. This makes the big .44 more fun to shoot than a 9mm and my reloads cost about $9/100. I really have no problems spending that on a weekly alotment of ammo. ;) And there is just a visceral satisfaction of launching those big chunks of lead. :D

Nanuk

I just added a Ruger Redhawk to my stable of .44's. Wow does it shoot nice. I had been shooting about 1200 a year, now I will probably double that. This gun shoots SOOOOO nice.:D

arnie08515

I just bought a new 44 magnum model 629; 6,5 inch barrel. I was in the case and frankly I was looking for a .357 (just bought that too). The dealer gave me 20% and tossed in 6 packs of magnums (Remington) at $13,99. I took the .44 to the range and shot 69 rounds. It is definitely a powerful gun with lots of flash, an incredible boom (especially in the range) and awesome force. No auto can match it. My hand is still sore from the experience.

I think its a great gun which will light up the range. No doubt! Its just a powerful piece. I wanted the N frame. There is nothing like it. I intend to keep this even if its just for infrequent use. The one thing it gives me is a euphoric feeling of awesomeness which I never got with the autos. It worth it. Now if my soreness will just go away.