.44 Magnum semi ?

cohoskip

I am reading a book in which the author has the BG carrying a
semi-auto pistol in .44 magnum. Is there such a beast? :confused:

Mal H

Staff
Yes, the Magnum Research Desert Eagle comes in .44 Magnum as well as .357 Magnum and the .50 Action Express.

Peter M. Eick

44amp.jpg

Never forget the Automag.

PT-92

But the OP was referring to .44mag and not AMT .44 Automag if I understood him correctly:confused:?

-Cheers

Mal H

Staff
Right, PT-92. The Auto Mag doesn't use .44 Rem Magnum rounds. I don't think the Wildey is chambered in .44 Rem Mag either.

Although the OP did say only ".44 Magnum", so I guess any round with .44 and Magnum in the name is fair game.

BGutzman

Dont forget the 460 Rowland which is also in the 44 Magnum class and available as a drop in kit although it does take just a little gunsmithing..

And yes I know you cant load it as hot as true 44 Magnum but off the shelf it is right in mid 44 Magnum power range..

44 AMP

Staff
They exist. I've had two, still have one. Desert Eagle in .44 Rem Mag, and an LAR Grizzly in .44 Mag. Still have the Desert Eagle.

Don't forget the 'automag' in .44 rem mag
Incorrect. The .44 Auto Mag does not use the regular .44 Mag ammo. The bullets are the same, but the case is rimless. The .44 Auto Mag fires the .44 AMP cartridge. (.44 Auto Mag Pistol).

But the OP was referring to .44mag and not AMT .44 Automag if I understood him correctly

Slightly incorrect. AMT never produced any Auto Mag pistols. (Note, two word name). AMT produced the Automag II, III, IV, & V (note, one word name) in.22WMR, .30 carbine, 9mm Win Mag& .45 Win Mag, and .50AE. The Automag is a completely different design of handgun than the original Auto Mag pistol.
44as-1.jpg

Note that both guns fire cartridges of the same length (case length 1.295") there is a huge difference in the size of the grips!