.44 Magnum Ruger Redhawk 4" vs. 5.5"

IanS

Has anyone shot both? Big difference in terms of felt recoil and muzzle blast? And are the 5.5" still in production?

ejfalvo

I have the 4 inch and it is a handfull to shoot with magnum loads. I can usually go thru a box before my wrist starts throbbing. I would think the 5.5 being heavier would be somewhat lighter in recoil.

Its a great gun, very smooth to shoot. Crisp trigger and good finish.

IanS

4" is advertised as 47 oz
5.5" is advertised as 49 oz

I wouldn't think 2 oz. would make such a big difference?

And mix in some lighter .44 Mag and .44 Spl loads next time.;)

crowbeaner

I haven't shot the 4 inch, but I owned a 5.5 for a number of years and it shot just like a rifle. The 7.5 inch is a great hunting gun if you can carry a longer barreled gun without it being unwieldy. The 4 inch would be OK if you had to carry it on your belt all day; that's how I carried my M29 and M57 Smiths. I'm sure the accuracy would be on par with the 5.5 inch.

azredhawk44

I own both.

I enjoy plinking with the 5.5" more than the 4". I can run a hundred rounds of mid-grade magnums through the larger one with less fatigue.

I'm also a bit more accurate with the larger one.

Differences:
I've got a Hogue hardwood monogrip on the 5.5", as well as a V-notch rear sight and a fiber optic front sight.

The 4" has stock U-notch rear sights with orange ramp front, and stock rubber grips.

I carry the 4" for hiking in high country or when out hunting.

Truth be told, the 4" was an impulse purchase when they first came out. It's a great sixgun and I enjoy it, but my needs were met by the 5.5" gun already. Nothing wrong with more than 1 redhawk, though.

If you're getting only 1, I'd suggest the 5.5" one.

OldCorp

Had a 5.5" for 20 years and really enjoyed it. Very easy to shoot - took a bunch of deer with it.
Recently got rid of it in order to get a S&W M29 6", which I always wanted.

IMHO - if faced with the choice, I'd go with the 5.5.