"44 Magnum Lite"?

dairycreek

I know that a 44 magnum is chambered both for magnum loads and for 44 Special loads. But, are there intermediate loads that are more powerful than the 44 Special load but less powerful than a full bore 44 magnum load? Hence the sobriquet "44 magnum lite"! Or, if one prefers 44 Special +P. Whatever! Good shooting:)

Mannlicher

Most exellent response Frohicky. I have to say though, that not a round of .44 special has sullied my Smith & Wesson .44 Mags. Lots of handloads, but no .44 special.

dairycreek
As was mentioned, you have discovered just one more reason to handload. In fact this is my primary reason for handloading. You can supply your faviorite shooting iron with pretty much any load you want. We had a recent thread on here about shooting round lead balls out of the .44 Mag . You can shoot a plinker like that with almost no recoil or noise and go from there right up to bone crushing monster loads.

Stephen A. Camp

Staff In Memoriam
Hello. Corbon or Triton offers a .44 magnum defensive load that is hotter than a Special, but not full-house magnum. Just cannot remember which company.

Best.

Sundance

The .44 Mag Winchester Silvertip (210 grain I think) is mild for a .44 Mag and a good choice for self defense in a magnum load. It is still more potent than the 200 grain .44 Special Win Silvertip load.

5pins

Cor-Bon has a 165gr JHP with a velocity of 1300fps from a 4in barrel. I picked up a box last week but have not had a chance to shoot them. Maybe tomorrow.
Pro Load has a 200gr Gold Dot at a velocity of 1050fps from a 4in barrel. If I go to the range tomorrow maybe I will pick up a box.
Triton Has a 240gr JHP and Quik-Shok moving at 1285fps from a 4in barrel. I have shot a 240gr bullet at almost 1300fps out of my S&W mountain gun and I can tell you it’s not what I would call lite.