44 mag shot loads

Bucksnort1

Gents and ladies (there must be at least one female on this BLOG),

I loaded my first shot loads for 44 mag. This method will certainly take out a grouse or small mammal at about 30' or so with 44 mag with a long barrel. My recipe is as follows:

6.8 grains Unique

Styrofoam (carry out container) wad on top of the powder (piece of cake to punch out wads)

#4 shot to within 1/16" (+ -) from mouth of case (you can get more shot using the plastic shot cups) (leave enough room for top wad and some glue)

Another Styrofoam wad on top of shot

Elmer's glue on top of shot wad

Large pistol primer

Elmer's may take overnight to harden but it will leave a nice professional looking rounded sealer on the case mouth. You can use hot glue gun. I found the glue gun a bit more difficult to work with but it hardens in a few seconds. I got the ideas for the styrofoam wad, Elmer's glue or hot glue gun from someone on the Firing Line - thanks to that person.

Salmoneye

I have been using that technique for years...

I use a mix of #8 and #6 shot over Red Dot...

I get 10gr more than if I use the same mix in a shot capsule...

30' is pushing it...15'-20' on rodents is about the max for me...

FrankenMauser

30 feet may be pushing it.

I've experimented with a lot of different configurations, 'power levels', and case types in .44 Mag.

In the end, all that really matters is that you're firing the payload out of a rifled barrel that completely ruins any chance at a respectable shot pattern.

My best .44 Mag shot shells are only good to about 15 feet. Beyond that, you have to make a substantial adjustment to make sure that the "donut" of shot actually hits the target (instead of going all around it). And, even then... luck is the primary determining factor in hit probability.

Needing 1/2 ounce of shot to be legal for upland game animals, I have gone to 'necked' shot shells, almost exclusively.
For .44 Mag, they can be formed from .303 British, .30-40 Krag, or .220 Swift. Some rim modifications are required.
(For .41 Mag, .30-30 cases work [rim requires modification]. And for .45 Colt, .444 Marlin is the best option [no rim modification required].)
I use nitro cards and fiber cushion wads. Rarely, do I bother with an over-shot card. Instead, I use three to four heavy applications of nail polish (free of abrasives - so no glitter or flake ingredients) -- which is primarily nitrocellulose, so what doesn't get blown out with the shot just burns up.

Note the difference between the case heads on the modified shells lying down. They both have the same dimensions now, but the one with the head stamp completely obliterated started life much thicker and much wider that its counterpart. ....And they were from the same lot of brass. :rolleyes:
attachment.php

(The unmodified cases are both R-P .303 British, but one has been fire-formed to .30-40 Krag.)

Bucksnort1

Fifteen to twenty feet is probably realistic; however, when my friend and I tested these loads in his Ruger, we fired a couple rounds at a beaver pond. We were a good 30 feet from the water. It was clear there was a lot of energy watching pellets hit the water even beyond 30 feet.

Regarding glue and such in the barrel, these rounds would not be fired on a regular basis. They would be strictly for a survival situation.

hartcreek

My .44 magnum and .44 special are now collectables so I use the Speer shot shell capsuls and #8 shot. Do the same for .38 special and S&W. Have used .38 Special to kill several rattle snakes at 15 feet.

Mike / Tx

I did a LOT of experimenting with the shot capsules over a period of a couple of years back in the late 80's. My favorite one was for my 44 which used the Speer capsule, two Speer #5110 .350" round balls, and a couple of pieces of thick felt for cushion, and to take up the remaining 1/8" or so before setting the plastic bottom into the capsule.

The round balls just fit into the capsule diameter wise, and made a real neat 2 ball load which worked well for small game out to around 30yds or so. Usually the round balls would impact around 2-3" apart, and would easily take out a rabbit or big raccoon.

If I were needing something for your application these would be my initial choice.

dahermit

In the Sixties, I loaded some shot loads for my .44 Magnum using a gas check over the powder, shot over that and an inverted gas check to keep the shot in. I also used shot capsules that were sold for the same purpose. However, I never got any satisfactory results as I remember...extremely poor patterns even near point-blank. I subsequently abandoned the practice, deeming it impractical for any purpose which I could conceive. Conventional wisdom of that era was that the rifling disrupted the shot to the point where a useful pattern could be achieved. It begs the question: Does making shot loads for a .44 magnum result in any practical use like shooting a grouse off a tree limb? Or are the patterns so bad that it is not likely to work? It is one thing to make "cool" shot loads (oh boy!) , but do they actually work?

Salmoneye

It is one thing to make "cool" shot loads (oh boy!) , but do they actually work?

The original names I have seen for these loads are 'Snake Shot' and 'Rat Shot'...

As I do not have an issue with snakes here in VT, I can not comment on that usage...

I HAVE however shot a number of vermin with my .357 and .44 mag loads, and can attest to their efficacy out to about 15'-20'...

FrankenMauser

dahermit said:
In the Sixties, I loaded some shot loads for my .44 Magnum using a gas check over the powder, shot over that and an inverted gas check to keep the shot in. I also used shot capsules that were sold for the same purpose. However, I never got any satisfactory results as I remember...extremely poor patterns even near point-blank. I subsequently abandoned the practice, deeming it impractical for any purpose which I could conceive. Conventional wisdom of that era was that the rifling disrupted the shot to the point where a useful pattern could be achieved. It begs the question: Does making shot loads for a .44 magnum result in any practical use like shooting a grouse off a tree limb? Or are the patterns so bad that it is not likely to work? It is one thing to make "cool" shot loads (oh boy!) , but do they actually work?

In my experience, gas checks were one of the major causes of the exceptional failure that you experienced. I've tried them, as well. They REALLY upset the pattern and cause even more unpredictability. Whether the problem is due to increased pressure, the gas checks compressing the shot charge, and/or the gas checks 'flipping' in the chamber, throat, or barrel.... I don't know.

But, I do know that gas checks rarely hit a target at just 5-7 feet, even if the shot charge patterns well on that target. They don't whistle. They don't hum. They don't give any indication of where they've gone. ...But they seem to vanish. They rarely show any evidence of even having been part of the load. (Out of probably 20-30 that I've fired, I think I only ever recovered ONE. And it was in the snow, about two feet shy of a target at just 10 feet.)

A softer over-powder wad really improves performance. Even better, is using a nitro card over the powder, and then a cushion wad (or two).

Unless you use a "Hot-Shots" type barrel with extremely shallow rifling, the rifling in the barrel will always be detrimental to accuracy and patterning. It can't be avoided.

However, with some fine-tuning, the loads can be quite useful. Mine were intended for, and have proven themselves at, bagging Forest Grouse during deer and elk season(s).
My use of the extended/necked shells, is because I have to cram 1/2 ounce of #4 to #8 shot in there to be legal (grouse can only be taken with a "shotgun" in Utah, so the centerfire rifle used for deer/elk is a no-go). If I didn't have that requirement, I'd just use shot capsules. And in Idaho, I just use whatever is in my hands (no shotgun requirement).

I have taken multiple birds with my .44 Shot loads, as well as multiple birds with my .444-410 loads (.444 Marlin loaded with .410-equivalent loads, and even using a .410 plastic wad).
By anticipating how large the "donut" of shot will be at the target distance, I have been able to make them all head shots, as well. Of the birds bagged with my "specialty" shot loads, only one ended up with a couple pellets in the breast.

If you take the time to try to fine-tune the load a bit, and then stay within the limitations of that load, the shot shells can be quite useful.

Pogybait said:
Are you using hot pink or hooker red nail polish? Just a little humor, you understand.
Nah. I started with 'hunter orange', but ran out a few years ago. Then came the pink, green, and red. ;)

But, in all seriousness...
Most of the pink, red, and purple colors have some type of abrasive in them to make them "shimmer", "shine", or "sparkle." So, I have to read the labels carefully, if I'm looking for some girly colors. I don't want crushed granite or glass in my cylinder and barrel.

Right now, it looks like I'm using blue with ground mylar (different bottle, but probably the same brand as the previous photo). And there's a red dot to signify that this was a different load than the plain blue that preceded it in the same box. --There's load data and performance notes dating to 2009 on the box, so each load has been marked a little differently. ....But there's nothing in my notes about why the shell in the center is more compressed and has a huge glob of red... :eek:
attachment.php

Attachments

• Nail_Polish_750.jpg
    Nail_Polish_750.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 1,012

Bucksnort1

FrankenMauser, you just answered a question I have but I'll ask anyway. You dab the nail polish directly on the shot. You don't have a wad of any kind on the shot. Is this correct?

Crankylove

FrankenMauser, you just answered a question I have but I'll ask anyway. You dab the nail polish directly on the shot. You don't have a wad of any kind on the shot. Is this correct?

Correct.

I tried using over shot wads in my shot shells (30-30 turned into .41 Mag), but switched to the nail polish after seeing Frankenmauser do it, and seeing how well they hold up to being carried around, and being in the cylinder while other rounds were fired.

Much quicker and easier than cutting, placing, and crimping I wad in there.

Last edited:

Bucksnort1

Crankylove,

Placing a shot wad is not a big deal for me. Per instructions of someone on the Firing Line, I punched out some Styrofoam wads. I push the one on top of the powder with the head of a 223 case then, push the shot down just a bit then, push the shot wad down a bit too.

MarkCO

When I make .41 Magnum shotshell loads, I get to use .410 overshot cards and stumpbuster wads. They work great. I have shot several rattle snakes, small rodents and numerous small game birds on the wing. I get performance equivalent to .410 shotshells with my heaviest loads, so I do not see why the .44 Magnum loads could not be there too.

FrankenMauser

Pogybait said:
Correct. ....For .44 Mag.
For the .444-410 loads, I do use an over-shot card ... plus the nail polish (currently hunter orange). But those are much hotter loads with larger/heavier payloads, and they perform differently.

For .44 Mag ("extended/necked" or standard), I lay a heavy coat on the shot around the case mouth, then sort of brush it to the center to cover. I let it cure for a day, or more, and then repeat.
I've gotten away with just 2 coats, before; but I usually apply 3-4 coats before I call it good. And, since I use styrofoam trays in my ammo boxes, I let it cure for another week, or so, before boxing it up. I don't want the off-gassing chemicals to melt the foam to the case heads.

...Which brings up another point: I never used the nail polish sealer/fixer when I was testing styrofoam wads/cards. I didn't want to take the chance of weakening or destroying the styrofoam. The nail polish is only used in combination with paper cards and/or fiber wads.

I stopped using over-shot cards after finding that the nail polish held up really well, and after having a couple failures of the over-shot cards that spilled #8 or #9 shot into the action of my Super Blackhawk. (During testing, rather than hunting, luckily.)

Oh... And I buy the nail polish myself.
I have actually never gotten a strange look or the slightest comment. The cashiers probably assumed it was a gift for a niece, daughter, wife, neighbor's dog, mistress, etc.

Will-j

.44 shot shells

POGY:
Use the [yellow] trays for over-powder wads... They are denser (harder) and I find they are a little better.

WILL

Ole Joe Clark

Snake Loads

I've loaded .38 Special shot loads for years, using Unique powder, and gas checks. I seat a gas check, cup up, over the powder, the fill the hull with #8 or 9 shot, leaving room for another gas check, cup up, then crimp heavily. They work wonders on rattlers, moccasins, copperheads, and the like. I even got two gray squirrels, years ago, with one shot after they discovered the attic in my house.