.44 mag powder choices

Jbotto

I have recently purchased a 7.5" SBH in .44Mag. I have reloaded for a few .44's before, but only for plinking loads. I am looking for some heavy, hunting loads to load up and get some good practice with before next fall's deer season. I have pretty much made up my mind that I want to use a hardcast 240gr SWC, but not sure what powder to choose. I have some Blue Dot that I acquired and used during the powder shortages from a few years ago but in my research it seems that H110, W296, or 2400 would be the popular route to go instead for full power hunting loads. I'm planning to load up a bunch of these yet this winter and I want to run whatever powder I end up with through my RCBS Uniflow, so I'd prefer it to meter well. So what do you all recommend for this application?

rg1

I can only recommend Hornady's 240 XTP bullets and Win 296 or H110 powder. Best shooting loads I've tested in my 7 1/2" Super Blackhawk and also in a Winchester Trapper 16" barrel. Supposed to be a good hunting bullet. No experience with lead bullets.

Pathfinder45

For heavy loads in revolver or Marlin, I like AA-9 and IMR-4227. I don't care for H-110 or W-296. But mine is 45 Colt, yet the same powders behave similarly in 44 Magnum.

Last edited:

Pond James Pond

I would add N110 from Vihtavuori.

It burns cleanly and is quite progressive.

At present I use it for 200gr and 300gr high-speed, plated bullets, FMJ and SJSP 240gr bullets and 265 hard cast from Cast Performance. The latter is my woods load.

The 240gr jacketed bullets reach 1350fps from a 4" Ruger Redhawk and the 265gr'ers hit about 1100fps and that was not the top load. The 300gr'ers go to about 1050fps. Again, not the max potential...

rob-c

My SRH likes 21 grains of 2400 and a 240 grain xtp. I like using 2400 because you don't need a magnum primer and you can run reduced loads with out it being finicky.

mikld

I haven't cared for H110/W296 for my .44 Magnums. The "window" is pretty narrow (one grain for a 429421) and I want the ability to load over a larger range for load development (W296/H110 do not recommend loading less than "starting loads"). I have used a lot of 2400 and AA#9 and even bunch of Unique (12.0 gr will get close to 1,100 fps) with 13.0 max.)...

Last edited:

stagpanther

I'm no expert--but I've loaded a fair amount of 44 mag hunting loads for years and 240 gr xtp's or nosler JSp's driven by H110 in warm loads reigned supreme in both my SBH and rossi carbine for combined accuracy and power. Not fun for extended sessions with a revolver--but it will get the job done in my experience.

454PB

Since you've already used Bluedot, stay with it. Bluedot will achieve 90% of the velocity available with H-110/296. It also shoots accurately in all my .44's.

Dufus

I would say pick one as they all are good in the 44 Mag.

Alliant 2400
Accurate #9 (but this one is noticeably snappy compared to the others)
H110/WW296
IMR4227

I shot a lot of jackets since 1973. Now I am almost entirely a cast bullet shooter.

I have used Blue Dot in the past, but I get terrible ES and SD with it, so I don't use it any more.

I think you can load the largest range of loads with 2400. My range goes from 17.0 gr up to 22 gr. although I don't recommend the top loads for anyone but me. I have been using a cast 260 gr HP bullet and sometimes I will gas check it.

My cylinder throats have been reamed to fit a 0.431" bullet.

black mamba

I agree with Accurate #9, but also like it's slower brother, Accurate 4100, even better. It meters beautifully, shoots very clean, and doesn't need a magnum primer. Enforcer is Ramshot's version of the same powder.

SHR970

At handgun ranges you don't necessarily need to go full throat stomping. I've downed mulies w/ my 357's.

That said. AA#7 & #9. 4227 is a good candidate. Blue Dot, 2400, W296 / H110 will give you a light show at low light but have the speed. Haven't used 4100 but it seems promising. Lil Gun will melt bases and is bad for longer range accuracy with cast. HERCO works very good with cast bullets.

Find what your gun likes...speed isn't everything. Accuracy and controlabilty are the key here. You are talking a 100 yard max. shot; find what prints well.

My 7.5" SRH likes #7, #9, and 296 / 110. YMMV

LOLBELL

I get very good accuracy with IMR4227 and a 240 XTP. I have shot a 2" 5 shot group @ 100 with this load but 5" is the best I can do day in and day out. This is with a scoped SBH Hunter off of sand bags.

I've never used 2400 and can't comment on it, but it must work because it has a huge following. I've used 1 pound of H110 and left it alone because of the narrow window.

Lately I've switched to a home cast 250 Keith with Unique or HS6. Been having good results with HS6 and lead for heavy loads.

riverratt

I have very accurate loads for my 7.5 in Blackhawk using IMR 4227, 2400, H-110/296 and unique. My most accurate load is an over book max load of H-110/296 with a 260gr ranch dog bullet that I cast myself and powder coat, I can hold consistent 2 inch groups at 100 yards off bags. I use a standard cci large pistol primer for this load and haven't had any ignition issues. The mag primers opened up the group about another 2 inches.

My second choice of powder is the 4227. It's the slowest powder on the list and will hold it's own with H-110/296 in the accuracy department but runs about 150 fps slower. In my experience 4227 is easier on lead bullets and doesn't tend to lead your barrel as much if your bullets don't fit your barrel right.

Last edited:
Imr 4227 is my preferred powder for 44 use. (Ruger Red Hawk)
4227 functions well in my Ruger 44 Mag rifle too.
A dandy clean burning powder it is.

iraiam

I pretty much only load the 240 grain cast SWC with GC for my Redhawk. I have full power loads for all powders listed below. I don't load any "plinking" loads for it and haven't bought a factory round for it in many years. I'm happy with the accuracy of all of them @100 yards.

H110
Alliant 2400
AA #9
WC820 (military surplus)

Jbotto

Wow! You guys are the best! I've been leaning towards 2400 just to be traditional, but I've read more and more about 4227. I've heard though it gets really odd in warm weather and after the gun is warmed up a bit. Could anyone add anything to that? With the narrow ~1.0 grain window off the H110/W296 I think I'm going to avoid that. Seems a little touchy to be using through the Uniflow.

markallen

For lighter loads I use Unique, 1200 fps or so with a XTP 240 gr.
When I want power, I load up 23.8 gr of IMR 4227 with the same XTP 240.
The 4227 is the most accurate out of my 5 1/2" Super Blackhawk.