.44 mag / H-110 - magnum primers?

spacecoast

The Hodgdon web site specifically calls for small pistol magnum primers for .357 mag loads using H110, but does not mention magnum primers for .44 mag. Are the large pistol primers enough to reliably ignite H-110 in .44 mag or do they also need magnum primers? Any difference in primer manufacturers? The Hodgdon site mentions Remington 2-1/2 in its load data.

m&p45acp10+1

Not sure for .44 Mag. my Lyman says standard primers are good enough for .41 Mag loads with H-110. I have used both stndard, and magnum primers with it, never niticed a differance. I do know not to reduce the starting charge weight though.

Shootest

I always use magnum primers and heavy crimp with H110/W296, just as a precaution. Never reduce charge weight either.

Slamfire

I have used standard primers without issue in warm weather.

Ball powders are hard to ignite. You better make sure that your mainspring is up to snuff as I had squibs with AA#9 in the 357 in cold weather. I was using WSP (which have been pretty hot primers) in a revolver with a weak mainspring in 40ish weather. I replaced the mainspring and did not have ignition issues though the next time out at the range it was in the 50's. Going to have to wait till Feburary to find out if it functions in 40 F weather with those loads.

Based on my experience, magnum primers might be a good thing with ball powders in cold weather.

S&W M629-4 5" Barrel

240JHP R-P 24.0 grs H110 Midway cases WLP
9-Oct-05 T = 66 °F
Ave Vel =1228
Std Dev =21.47
ES =70.16
Low =1268
High =1197
N=22

HogueXgriponM629-4sideviewDSCN6334.jpg

spacecoast

Interesting that the temperature might be important - it's mostly warm (or hot) down here so that's one factor pretty much resolved. I believe I've read that using magnum primers when they're not called for can lead to problems (pressure?) as well, so I want to make sure I'm on solid footing here.

243winxb

WLP & Rem 2 1/2 are the only large pistol primers made by them. Other wise use a magnum primer for W296 & H110

totaldla

To add to what Slamfire said: My chronograph testing showed me that W296, Enforcer, and AA#9 had much lower ES with CCI350 and WLP primers. In my thinking, the reduction in velocity variations indicates better ignition and more thorough combustion.

I found no difference between CCI350 and WLP in velocity, but I did have some WLP's crack.

BTW, avoid Wolf Large Pistol Magnum - they totally suck. Really bad primer for mag primer applications.

Rifleman1776

I was informed by both the NRA Dope Bag and the Sierra Bulletsmiths that magnum primers are never needed in the .44 mag.
Of the many thousands of rounds I loaded in .44 maggie none were with mag. primers. And I never had a failure to fire.

mkk41

Slow burning ball powders are generally considered harder to ignite. But Winchester (Olin) , the originators of ball propellants like W-296 , doesn't make a large pistol magnum primer. I've been using Winchester Large Pistol primers almost exclusively for magnum and non-magnum loads , with all powders for years with no problems.

Kevin Rohrer

One Comment & One Question

Comment: Some manuals call for Magnum primers w/ H110. I was trying that powder in a 10.75" .221FB and observed no change in velocity w/ or w/o Magnum primers. Caveat: The weather was warm out.

Question for Slamfire: Will that good-looking 629 of yours handle full power loads over an extended period of time? The reason I ask is I used to own a "Dirty Harry" model and it seemed "too flimsy" to do alot of shooting w/o it loosening up. :(

Edward429451

I generally do not use magnum primers in 44 Mag, but the book does call for them with H-110 & 296 so I use them with those powders.

buck460XVR

I always use Winchester WLP primers in my Magnum loads as they are for both Standard and Magnum loads.

.....and these are the primers spec'd for on the Hodgdon site. Hornady also specs them for their .44 mag loads with H110/W296. Speer and Lyman use CCIs in their .44 mag recipes and spec out magnum primers for use with H110/W296. Again, the Winnie LPs are intended for use with hard to ignite ball powders in magnum loads. They are manufactured by the same company that produces H110/W296. They know what they are doing. So do the other manuals that test and verify their loads with H110/W296 in .44 mag. Some manuals spec out magnum primers for powders that don't really need them, i.e. 2400. This doesn't mean that magnum primers are not needed for H110/W296. Always amazes me that some folks think they know more than the experts just cause their friend Bubba told them it will work..

223 shooter

I too use the Winchester WLP in nearly all my 44 mag loads even with H110 and 296. The accuracy with my 629 Classic exceeds my expectations.

Clark

The standard load of 24 gr H110 240 gr JHP is not fussy about primers or crimp.

But if that load is going to get drastically reduced, it becomes very fussy.

TXGunNut

I always use Winchester WLP primers in my Magnum loads as they are for both Standard and Magnum loads. -CowTowner

Exactly right, my friend! Hard to understand all the confusion when the label is so clear. A manufacturer understands their products and makes things simple for us and we try to make it difficult. :confused: In keeping with the KISS doctrine the WLP is the only large pistol primer I use or need, from mild 45acp loads to rhino-rollin' 45 Colt loads and anything I care to load in between. YMMV, of course.