44 Mag Brass? Is it too short?

posigian

I am new to reloading and just getting started. So I have some questions regarding my 44 Mag reloads.

I have 16 pieces of brass and 8 of them I trimmed to what the book recommends as a "trim-to length"of 1.275". The remaining 8 pieces I left alone but all were under the max. case length of 1.285".

When is a piece of brass to short? I returned from the range and went about reloading the brass again. After I resized the brass I noticed some pieces are under the "trim-to length" by almost .005". When is a piece too short to be reloaded safley?

Do I need to trim pistol/straight walled cases? I know some dont bother with it, but these 44 Mags are for my Ruger carbine rifle, so I thought I would trim some just to see what kind of performance differance there would be. For the 44 Mag or even my 357 mag revolver, do I need to bother with trimming?

After I returned from the range I noticed that some pieces shrunk instead of strecthed. Is this normal?

Thanks for the feedback and please stay tuned to this channel for more questions of help!

Contender

Don't worry about the brass "shrinking". This is normal after firing as the brass has assumed the size of the chamber with a little shrinkage. When you resize the brass, it will "grow" again and lengthen slightly at times.

Trimming your brass, especially when new, is more to have all uniform lengths and squared up case mouths. Don't worry if it is slightly shorter than the trim to length.(.005) You are becoming concerned over nothing serious.

After sizing, make sure the lengths are reasonably uniform to each other for the sake of even crimps and leave it at that. Then after that, check them after 4-5 firings and then you will be able to guage how long your cases will go without trimming. My guess is you will not trim them again for a long time. You may even dump them before they need another trim due to the straight walled case.

Remember, your brass is constantly expanding upon firing and then being sized down to be reloaded. The heavier the loads, the shorter it's life will be.

Regards

Tom Matiska

>When is a piece too short to be reloaded safley?<

When you shoot both 44 Mag and 44 Spec and you grab the wrong box by mistake. A normal length 44 Mag is too long to chamber in a Special. If the brass is a tad short and/or the Special cylinder is a bit worn it can chamber.

Tom