44 Automag

gmarr

I've had mine for a few years now, mostly on display with a range trip or two a year. I read a while back that Kodiak Arms was going to re-introduce the 44 Automag. Never heard anything else again. Is this like Vltor with the Bren Ten or is there anything to this? Thanks

Japle

Kodiak Arms went quiet on the subject some time back. I wouldn’t plan on buying any AutoMags from them.

I have a lightly-used TDE .44 AMP. Apparently, the original buyer fired it 9 times (the box of ammo had that many empties in it and 41 unfired rounds), didn’t have good results and put it away. When he died, his son sold it. The original ammo was from CDM – Remington’s Mexican affiliate. The stuff was loaded way too light to function. Complete ejection was rare and it jammed every shot. AutoMags require pretty hot loads to function correctly. Mating surfaces also require a good polish which was not done at the factory.

I did a lot of work on AutoMags back in the late ‘70s and early ‘80s before they became collector’s items. I did my usual polish/tune job and mine works very well. The original guns were shipped with a small bottle of Castrol motor oil, but the current synthetic lubes are much better.

gmarr

Mine is a AMT Pasadena. I shoot Corbon and have had no issues. I have a box of original Norma ammo but that's not going to be shot anytime soon. For lube I use either Rem Oil or Miltech. But as this is more collector than shooter, it comes out once a year.

Louca

Hey guys thanks for posting the AutoMag pictures. It brings back a very nice memory of the first time I ever shot a pistol. I think it was 1975. A guy at work and I were talking guns and he mentioned a couple he had that he could bring into work if I wanted to shoot them. Little did I know the first pistol I would shoot would be an AutoMag. I am not sure who was more stupid: me for not knowing how loud it would be without hearing protection or him for knowing that but not telling me! But still that was a great day and I am proud to say that stainless beauty was the first pistol I ever fired.

Lou

44 AMP

Staff
Sadly, it appears the rebirth of the Auto Mag is on indefinite hold. I too was excited by the news, but, wisely it appears, refrained from sending them any money. No news about it in over a year. :(

The original ammo was from CDM – Remington’s Mexican affiliate. The stuff was loaded way too light to function. Complete ejection was rare and it jammed every shot. AutoMags require pretty hot loads to function correctly. Mating surfaces also require a good polish which was not done at the factory.

The polish part, yes. The ammo part, depends on the gun. The CDM stuff is only "light" for some guns. Other guns run it ok (and even "ok" is tempermental). I clocked some of it in 1983, it ran approx. 1300fps from my 8inch. Not exactly cat sneeze loads, if not the 1600fps claimed.

Original handload data is smoking hot. When they claimed they got a 240gr @ 1600fps from a 6.5" gun, they got it. Sadly, these loads are hard on the guns. They do like to run on the warm side, but at top levels, some parts are not very ...durable.

dakota1911

I remember. I guess they did not bring them back. I had one years ago and sold it to a friend for three times what I paid for it. Interesting pistols.

DaleA

I had one years ago and sold it to a friend for three times what I paid for it.

One of the few times I would violate Cheapshooters rule of handguns but whenever I thought of it a nagging voice in the back of my mind would have bedeviled me forever.

Also I never would have been able to watch Clint Eastwood's "Sudden Impact" ever again.