44 ammo deals out there?

hickstick_10

Thats the nature of the beast with a 44 mag, and thats a good price for factory ammo.

If you wanted cheap you shoulda bought a 357 or a 9 mm

Plus you can always handload.

GeauxTide

Yep, you can invest in a reloading setup for the cost of fewer boxes of 44's than you think. Reloading for a SBH is easy and fun. Checkout Midwayusa.com for some great deals. Also check out the new to reloading posts here.

evenflow80

wnycollector:

Excellent site. Just what I was looking for. I too need to find the cheapest .44 Mag ammo because I typically shoot 200+ rounds each weekend.

Fiochhi is the cheapest factory ammo I saw. Here is Southern Cali they go for about $30 for a box of $50 though.

However, one of the ranges I go to sells re-loads, their 240gr .44 Mag reloads go for $24 per 50 rounds, their .357 Mags $20 per 50. That's a decent price for plinking I suppose.

Also, I know two dealers that sell factory new ammo made by local commercial loaders, comes in a plain red box, in 240gr and 180gr varities, for about $27. Not too bad and half the price of most other new factory ammo out there. Only saw them in two dealers though.

zxcvbob

Shooting a big-bore revolver, you'll have to get into reloading eventually. Why not start now? Get a good used single-stage press and scales, a box of 240 grain cast bullets, some brass, primers, and a jug of Herco, HS-6, Blue Dot, or AA#7 (etc.)

MikeO89

If you wanted cheap you shoulda bought a 357 or a 9 mm

Well the gun was given to me so it didn't cost me anything. My mother in law was giving some guns to family members after her husband passed away (he was an avid gun collector) and she chose to give me the Super Blackhawk. I like the gun so much, I just want to go out and shoot it all the time.

That link posted where you send in the spent shells was very cool. That even beats the price I posted. I was giving the shells to the sportsman club where I shoot but now I'm going to save them.

Will have to see how this goes with my shooting habits to see if I shoot enough to warrant getting a reloader.

Reidman

Lee Loader?

The Lee Loader is an interesting little low cost option for reloading.

Presses are costly but will pay for themselves over time depending on your shooting habits. A Lee Loader will give you the option to dabble in reloading without dropping significant coin.

Brass taxes... the only way to enjoy flipping that .44 mag bang switch is reload. The cartridge literally BEGS to be reloaded. Soft cast lead low recoil loads are great with the ladies. Hard cast can give you lots of plinking options. Or load up full house jacketed hollow points and make mashed potatoes!

Ammo-Engine is a great source for finding prices.

Gun Deals is also another favorite for finding ammo.

wnycollector

When shipping your empty brass to mastercast, the USPS flat rate box is your friend. I can get ~2000 rounds in a medium sized "cube" box...the best part is that it only cost's $10 to ship.

Another trick I learned, is that if you buy your once fired brass from vendors on Gunbroker or auctionarms, I just have the seller ship directly to mastercast. This is not a great deal, its just an example of whats out there http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=151643397

Elvishead

That's as good as it going to get. I don't own a 44mag and I just might order 5 box's myself for when I get one maybe next year.

ProjectCamaro

It's funny that you posted that link because I just bought that exact ammo from them last night. It's without a doubt the best price I could find of any none reloaded ammo and I've ordered from Ammo to Go in the past and have always been very happy with their service and shipping times.

wnycollector

I have been using mastercast for my range ammo for the past several years. I have literally put 5000-6000 rounds of their .38, .357, .380, .40, .44, .45 and 9mm ammo through my pistols and rifles. The stuff is accurate and reliable for the price. So much so, I have put off reloading my own pistol ammo because of them!

The only bad thing I can say about them is that their ammo is rather dirty to shoot (no worse than wolf!!!), but for the price I'm willing to live with it.

Doyle

The cheapest .44mag ammo that I consider good enough to shoot is Magtech. Before the shortage, I was only paying about $23/box for it. I haven't bought any since the shortage stated though so I don't know what it has gone up to.